D7100 owners, has this happened to you

bob_belbeck2

<p>I was wondering if anyone else has run into this with the D7100. It could have been something that I did since I am 60 and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be - So I might have changed something. But, for the life of me I don't remember doing it.<br>

I was on safari and shot about 3000 pics with my d7100, and a couple thousand additional with the d7000.<br>

The settings on my d7100 changed apparently by themselves. First the light balance went from A2, to flourescent! I can't imagine a worse light setting for the outdoor shooting I was doing. Then the file type went from raw to jpeg. Man, I am a raw photog all the way. I almost cried when I discovered these 2 changes. Especially finding out my cheetah pics were all jpegs. When I compare them to the raws from my wife's d7000 there is definitely lower quality.<br>

Like I said, when these 2 changes happened I don't remember making any changes to my camera. But, someone else could have messed with it when I wasn't looking.<br>

Question: Have any d7100 users out there had their settings change with no user input? </p><div>00c5eK-543169584.jpg.04d0c4619fd227868022906aa0429001.jpg</div>

<p>This problem has never happened to me with two different D7100 bodies. I hate to say this, but most likely, you might have pressed onto the wrong button on the back while you were attempting to change the ISO setting. Once you hold down the wrong button and rotate the main command dial, you would be changing White Balance or Image Quality (RAW/JPEG settings).</p>

<p>Still, you have a very nice cheetah image.</p>

I think this is potentially easy to do by

mistake, for example when changing iso as

the qual button is directly above the iso

button. I'm sure I did this a few times on

my old d90. Since I discovered easy iso

(which i think was on the d90 too)I never go

anywhere near these buttons when shooting.I

do sometimes change the iso by mistake

instead, but this is usually no big deal.

However I can't imagine you had much need to

change the iso whilst on safari.

I haven't though experienced any settings

changing on their own on the d7100.

Fantastic picture BTW.

<p>Hi Bob ,i feel for you,a trip of a lifetime and that happens.It did happen to me on my old D80,i shot around 100 photos on the wrong WB on a photography trip but i had the raws to correct it.I have a D7000 and i disciplined myself now to change settings looking at the screen with the INFO button,if you are older and shortsighted the top lcd is useless.You can still open jpegs in raw in PS and try and correct the colour cast.I am off to kenya tomorrow and wish to take a photo of a cheetah as good as yours,good lack</p>

<p>EXIF ought to tell you <em>when</em> it happened. </p>

<p>Did both changes occur together? The WB change is just annoying as you were, quite rightly, taking RAW, but a change to JPEG, that's evil! I feel for you!</p>

<p>Maybe Nikon should have used the PRO layout on it's <strong>DX</strong> Flagship, just like my old D300?? I have never accidentally changed settings on that, but I have on my D5100.</p>

<p>Never-the-less, cute cat..:-)<br>

_________________________</p>

<p>I never noticed the D7100 had an <strong>Info</strong> button and an<strong> i</strong> button. What's that about?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Maybe Nikon should have used the PRO layout on it's <strong>DX</strong> Flagship, just like my old D300?? I have never accidentally changed settings on that, but I have on my D5100.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I was sure that someone would make that suggestion. Look at the D800, those same control buttons, plus bracketing, are also together. One can unintentionally change settings regardless of where Nikon puts them.</p>

<p>When I change ISO, regardless of on which DSLR body, I always look at the ISO button before I press on it, and then when I rotate the command dial to change ISO, I monitor the LCD to make sure that the ISO setting is changing to what I want. If I am accidentally holding down a wrong button, the ISO setting won't change when I rotate the main command dial; something else would change.</p><div>00c5iQ-543174784.jpg.66b630d5a3b464b3d86a8e0c9e4537c1.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>my old D300?? I have never accidentally changed settings on that, but I have on my D5100.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Shun, just speaking from <em>my</em> experience. If you have to pick up the camera left handed, the ball of your hand can press that whole set of buttons. I guess groping for the shutter-button with the other hand can simultaneously move a wheel? The top mounted buttons can be pressed too, no doubt, but I never seem to have done!</p>

<p>The D300 and D700, arguably the best <em>common</em> DX and <em>affordable</em> FX action cameras yet, both share the same interface and no-one seemed to mind. Why change what works?</p>

<p>I'd still like to know from EXIF <em>when</em> it happened; literally mid burst implies a camera glitch. After a 5 minute pause, or worse overnight, and it's everything from then on, it's an HCP! (Human Caused Problem)<br>

____</p>

<p>EDIT. I also suspect that with having a vertical row of buttons it's easier to get the wrong one, than with a quad set like the nice pic of your D800 shows?</p>

<p>I've managed to accidentally change settings on pretty much every camera I own, including the ones with "pro" layout. On my D2X and D3, the number of times I accidentally knocked the focus lever out of AF-C are legion. On my D7000 and D7100, I've been reasonably successful with keeping the main settings under control, but the BKT button seems particularly ill placed for my largish hands, and it's easy to accidentally press it or the AF button when using my left hand to support the camera/lens.</p>

<p>All in all, I've found it best to check settings frequently to account for errors, be they of the mechanical sort or brain lock.</p>

<p>As Mike H suggests, check your EXIF progression to see when these changes took place and in what order. I guess this would be called Forensic EXIF. Although it is always possible to make accidental changes, in my experience it is much more common to make intentional settings changes and then forget about them. </p>

<p>First of all, clearly I take photography seriously; I understand not everybody wants to carry a laptop around the world. When I travel, I carry a laptop and backup my images onto hard drives every evening, as I would do at home. Therefore, if there are any bad setting and malfunctions, I would find out from LightRoom before the next day so that any "damage" is limited.</p>

<p>Way back in 1997, I went to Kenya. (I was sitting in the middle of Masai Mara in Kenya, listening to the BBC on short-wave radio. Suddenly I heard the news that Princess Di had passed away. That tells you how long ago that was.) Needless to say, that was during the film era. After I got home, had the slide film developed, suddenly I noticed that I had a lot of over-exposed slides from the last couple of days. Those images were from the 500mm/f4 P lens I had. I checked the lens and sure enough, the aperture diaphragm was stuck at f4. I was fortunate that it didn't happen at the beginning of the two-week trip.</p>

<p>In these days, with digital, we can find out about such issues much sooner.</p>

<p>Hi Bob,<br /> I had and still have the same problem with white balance changing....It took a while pefore i found the problem.....It is your nose pushing on white balance button while you change speed.That's it!!...Just be carefull when you look in your camera....It's a big nose problem!!!...</p>

<p>That D7100 rear layout looks ready made to ensure users will eventually change settings unintentionally. The pro level single digit D-series require more effort to change WB, ISO, image quality settings, etc. Smaller buttons, flat, recessed and away from normal handling contact.</p>

<p>Accidentally changing white balance is no big deal if you're shooting raw. But inadvertently changing both WB and quality from raw to JPEG would be annoying.</p>

<p>A friend of mine just came back from a "birding trip" and found that his last few shots (on a D7000 rather than a D7100) were in jpeg and with the white balance set to tungsten! He cannot explain how it happened. It's another reason why I prefer the control layout of the D* or D*** series cameras - although I've still managed to shoot a whole day's work in tiff instead of RAW - which was annoying.</p>

<p>Marc, I think you hit the nail on the head, or should I say nose? The changes were made at 2 separate times - Both at night when we were looking at the pics. I'll do some testing and if it happens again I will let you all know - Especially Nigel. I am used to this happening with the d7000 with the non-locking mode dial. From now on (and after I discovered this0 I check all my settings before going out. Thanks everyone!</p>

• 2 years later...

<p>As a matter of fact "YES" it has....which is why I am here after googling to see if anyone else has had the wonderful experience of shooting 300+ pictures which you just have to have...and find out later that they all were shot in manual white balance without my permission to just randomly on it's own change from auto1 to manual.<br>

Wow this is the second time this has happened to me...maybe go to some extreme to cover that particular button up on the back...or find a way to lock it....</p>

<p> </p>

<p>As a matter of fact "YES" it has....which is why I am here after googling to see if anyone else has had the wonderful experience of shooting 300+ pictures which you just have to have...and find out later that they all were shot in manual white balance without my permission to just randomly on it's own change from auto1 to manual, and from raw to jpeg.<br>

Wow this is the second time this has happened to me...maybe go to some extreme to cover that particular button up on the back...or find a way to lock it....</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>they all were shot in manual white balance without my permission to just randomly on it's own change from auto1 to manual, and from raw to jpeg</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you end up with some JPEG instead of RAW, you are out of stuck. Otherwise, as long as you have those RAW images, it is not too difficult to correct white balance during post-processing.</p>

<p>Yes I know .. my last group only changed the white balance to manual so I used Aftershot Pro 2 and set a custom batch for 5000 kelvin which was what another Nikon I had with me selected in auto white balance and ran the batch on my photos...all was corrected....whew...</p>

• 6 months later...
<p>Hi Bob, i am just back from africa and India with what for me was a new D7100, i unfortunately have many jpegs with numerous WB settings i had not dialled in purposely, even after the first discovery and trying to minimise it happening again i had more bouts of the same. Sadly i was keeping memory for the Tigers and shot most of Africa on Jpeg so im not sure how i will go with adjusting the white balance on the computer. I also found that many times whilst shooting in A mode i had to go out of that setting and then back into it again before the command dial would change the aperture, i think i may send the camera back for a check. Interesting about the nose being the culprit, it may well be because ive no idea how else it was happening.</p>