Hasselblad 553 ELX w/ 50/4.0 and 80/2.8 purchase

ben_collier1

<p>It's been a while since I've shot film and this will be my first medium format purchase, so I'd like to get some of your thoughts on the following and on the price point:</p>

<p>- Hasselblad 553 ELX with back and prism and bellows<br>

- 80mm 2.8<br>

- 50mm 4.0</p>

<p>Cost = $1,450</p>

<p>From what I read, it seems like a good outfit to start with. It's a Craigslist purchase. Honestly, I don't know enough to go look at it and know for sure how good the condition is (other than looking for basic wear and tear). </p>

<p>Another option is for a much older (looking) Hasselblad 500c plus 80mm 2.8 for $700. No idea what condition, but any thoughts on these prospects would be much appreciated!</p>

<p>Ben,<br>

A few ideas (not an exhaustive list):<br>

- Unless they had a recent cla, I would strongly advise to not buy C lenses (Except the latest C which came with the 501C and is very similar to a CF).<br>

- Do not buy a 500C: most are in bad shape and you cannot change the focusing screen. The original one on the 500C was pretty bad.<br>

- Why not a 500C/M? If you find one with a recent cla they are good deals. <br>

- Whichever camera you chose, try to get one coming with an Acute Matte screen. If you don't, be ready to buy one later!<br>

- The 553ELX is a good camera, however it is more suited for studio work (heavy, bulky).<br>

When you have the camera in hand, check the following points:<br>

- Slow speeds on the lens (if the 1s is 2 or 3s, the lens will need a cla)<br>

- Check the DOF mechanism on the lens. <br>

- Condition of the back plate of the camera, where the back attaches. Heavy marks mean heavy use and risk of light leaks and/or poor focusing.<br>

- Cranking the magazine should be smooth and stop at "1" (Get an A12, not an older 12 style).<br>

- When removing the insert, the back should go back to the 0 frame.<br>

- Check for light leaks on the back.<br>

- When firing the camera, check that the rear flaps go all the way up (for the top one) and down for the bottom one.<br>

- Check the mirror pre-release. It should work correctly.<br>

- Condition of the focusing screen: scratches are very annoying when you want a good composition<br>

- Try to avoid buying a camera which was used by a "pro"</p>

<p>The 553 ELX is a great camera, if in good condition. It uses AA-batteries, so there is no trouble like with the old type rechargeable batteries. It may of course seen a heavy life as studio workhorse, then I would not take it.<br>

I am counting six versions of the 4.0/50 mm lens. I am counting 9 versions of the 2.8/80 mm lens. I am not going to start to count the number of different film magazones and prisms. Given this variety and the unknown condition it is impossible to give you advice.<br>

Ulrik</p>