MF Slide Film

bob_h

<p>With Kodak out of the picture for 120 transparency film, Velvia seems to be the last one standing.<br>

I have to wonder how long Fuji will stay in the game. I still want to make 120 slides for as long as possible. I have also heard that Ferrania of Italy will release updated 120 chrome film sometime in 2014. Does anyone know of any other currently produced E-6 120 film available? Is Agfa completely gone too?</p>

<p>It's become a squeeze: limited choice and limited processing options. I wouldn't put any money on the Ferrania deal. Aside from Fuji, there may be small quantities of short-dated or expired Kodak material around. Lay in some Fuji but also shoot it to keep your lab up and running. Paradoxically, the urge to hoard film, especially E-6 materials, isn't always coupled with much enthusiasm to shoot and process it. Just having it seems enough for some people. Strange.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Paradoxically, the urge to hoard film, especially E-6 materials, isn't always coupled with much enthusiasm to shoot and process it. Just having it seems enough for some people. Strange.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Strange but true! I'm in that camp. Stocked up on 120-format E200 (best ever colour astro film) when it was discontinued. I'm almost <em>afraid</em> to shoot it, in case I use it too soon! So do you understand the psychology? Hoarding or "Just having it" is a comfort; a bulwark against the awful, final, gripping desolation of having none, ever, again ;)</p>

<p>I have a box of TMY-2 in the fridge but have only used one roll. No complaints though. But as for Portra, I have tried really, really hard to get to like color negative film and have failed miserably every time. My problem is the scanning... I just can't get pleasing, or even satisfactory colors to save my life... and I just hate the look of the colors that I do get. I read all sorts of manuals and web sites; made all sorts of adjustments in vuescan; messed it up so bad I had to get Mr. Hamrick to fix it for me; bottom line, it just hasn't worked. If someone had a preset for Portra I would be absolutely delighted and might feel quite differently.</p>

<p>Jim, I went for a family trip to Dubai and brought my Mamiya 6 together with two rolls of E100G and two of Provia 400X. A recipe for disaster: a notoriously difficult camera (exposure-wise) + four rolls of disappearing (or disappeared) slide film + pictures mostly taken at dusk.<br>

I received the rolls today and I was amazed. Obviously not everything went right, let's say that one out of four pictures was way less than perfect, but for the rest I was once again blown away by the richness of the colours and the quality of the images. Slide film it's also easier to scan than negative film. You are going to a wonderful location and I'm sure you'll be taking great pictures with your Mamiya.</p>

<p>I have recently shot some Rollei Digibase CR200 PRO in 35mm, which is also available in 120. I found the result quite pleasing, an interesting change from Velvia and Provia, which I usually shoot. Colors were a lot warmer, which made skin tones much more pleasant than with the Fuji slide films. You won't get the "pop" of colors that you get with Velvia, and you will probably also notice the grain a bit (although in 120 less so than in 35mm).<br /> <br />Nevertheless, it's nice to know that there is another option out there. I will get it again at some point, especially if I know that I will be photographing people.</p>