Wedding Photography

joy_miles

<p>Joy - </p>

<p>You don't say where you are located - so it's pretty tough to answer the question. But in general in the US - if you take money for a service and market yourself as a provider of services, then you are a "professional" and need to be registered with the state. (and pay taxes, etc...) A lot more goes into it than just "getting a license". </p>

<p>If you're doing it as a favor for a friend or relative and purely are a hobby shooter then you don't need a license. </p>

<p>If you've never done a wedding before the best course of action would be to refuse to do it and instead offer names of other photographers in your area that do weddings. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hello and welcome to Photo.net.</p>

<p>What licences or registrations that you will require, will be more dependent upon whether you are being paid for the services (and goods) that you supply, rather than you actually shooting the wedding.<br>

That, I believe is the case in most areas of the world.<br>

Also, as I understand, in most areas of the world, if you are providing services for a fee, then there certainly WILL be registrations and / or lodgement of documents, which by law will be required of you.</p>

<p>No matter where you live, that probably answers your specific question and also endorses Dave's answer to it: not that Dave's answer required any endorsing, as, if you look at his posting history; he gives good and solid advice. . . .</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>But that brings us to another matter which Dave touched upon:</p>

<p>It would be fairly accurate to state that across certain endeavours to make money - Wedding Photography being one of them - there are many who never ever follow the protocol set by the law and further do not follow best business practices, for example apropos having adequate insurances.</p>

<p>We get a lot of first time questions similar to yours. And many of them, like yours, are asking a <em><strong>very specific question</strong></em>: you asked - <em>"I just want to know if I need a business license?"</em> </p>

<p>What, historically, tends to happen in the commentary of these threads, is that several very experienced Wedding, Events and Portrait Photographers attempt to warn off the Original Poster even shooting the Wedding at all.<br>

And sometimes the conversation becomes more about that, as the main topic: which is generally fine and sometimes of very great use to the Originating Poster as the conversation often reveals many issues that the OP has never considered.</p>

<p>It seems to me better to mention these facts at the beginning of this conversation.</p>

<p>Photo.net has many resources and older threads specific to your situation, it would bode well for you to research here: use the search function in this forum to seek out similar threads using key words and also the learning tab at the top of the page – also you can search old threads in their separate categories on the side of the main forum page.<br>

<a href="/wedding-photography-forum/00bsPR">This should be useful:</a> it is an account by a professional photographer, but, if one can read through it being from the position of a professional and experienced photographer one will find many useful tips and questions pertinent to your situation. </p>

<p>WW</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p>That depends on the city....certain cities require you to pay the business license whether your office is situation in that city or not. City of Los Angeles is one such place, and they have their ways of "blackmailing" taxes on you just because you get paid doing business in Los Angeles, even though you might live or operate in another city, and it doesnt really matter whether you run a business or not. You can be a mom paid to take a photo session, and as soon as the city knows about it they will send you a tax bill.<br>

If you open a business, say at a studio or garage converted studio at your house into a business, you always have to get home occupation business license from the city you live/work in.<br>

So far there is no required license or certification for professional photographers (in my State), unlike engineers and architects, so I dont think the state license is a concern here.</p>

<p>I do not know of one wedding photographer that has an operating license They may exist, but I've never met one.</p>

<p>For someone doing it on a very limited basis such as the OP, I can't imaging anyone caring about a hobbyist shooting an occasional wedding for cash, except the IRS who always wants their pound of Form-1099 flesh. </p>

<p>I am a registered LLC in the State of Michigan ... which involves a $25 annual fee. That was more for my protection than for any regulation of my business on the part of the State ... they just want their $25. I once had a County Clerk call me and ask if I had "inventoried my stock" in order to pony up annual taxes. I told him what I do and he simply said "Never mind, carry on" ... I never heard from them again.</p>

<p>The only license fee you may have to pay is the use of public property for commercial gain ... which totally depends on where you are. LA is notorious for this, my area is not. You may also have to pay to use a Private location ... especially popular ones for wedding photography. </p>

<p>- Marc</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Joy - </p>

<p>According to a quick google search - licensing of your business (any endeavor that you pursue for a profit) is required in the state of Alabama. </p>

<p>Licenses vary by business but appear to run $20.00 per year or so. </p>

<p>The kicker is the fine that you pay if you are caught operating an unlicensed business - $25.00 PER DAY. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

Ask for cash or a check. There's no need to report it as a 1099. If you decide to do this as a business you may want to come up with a name and register it.

If you work with someone as a hired photographer you may need a 1099 form. If you make $600 or less you don't have to report it to the IRS.

<p>If you're doing it as a hobby you're safe - no license required - no need to register with the state. But you are charging them anything - and intend to make a profit from it - then you need to register. </p>

<p>If you agree to do it and they say we'll cover your expenses - then it's legal - and no license is likely needed - again - you're not doing it to make a profit. Get paid in cash and you're good. </p>

<p>Where people get into trouble, is when they are charging and making a profit on their work, but aren't paying the state gov't their share. </p>

<p>dave</p>