Second camera: D7100 or D5300

kylebybee

<p>I would like y'alls opinion on second/back-up camera to my D7000. I'm considering a second body so I can minimize my lens switching. I mostly shoot landscape and nature. I was wanting to add a 24mg pixel sensor for some added detail and dynamic range. Now that the D5300 has come on the scene, I'm toying with that option rather than the D7100 for the price difference. Would the non weather sealing of the D5300 be a strike against it? I'm not pulling the trigger until the first of the year. I'm also wanting to added more lenses and maybe a flash in the future as well. I currently have the Tokina 11-16, Tamron 17-50, Tamron 70-300 (newer one), Nikon 35 f/1.8. As of yet I've never tried doing video, so that isn't that big of a deal.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I mostly shoot landscape and nature.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It depends on what you are including in "nature." If it includs anything like moving wildlife, the D7100's superior AF will be a major advantage. Otherwise, for macro, flowers, etc., maybe you would prefer the swivel LCD on the D5300 or perhaps even D5200; that really helps to shoot from low angles.</p>

<p>I like the fact that the D5300 has a built-in GPS. I prefer to have the location info in the EXIF on every outdoor image; it makes them a lot easier to search on LightRoom, but that feature is going to consume a lot of battery power. However, unlike the D7000 and D7100, the D5300 has only one command dial, making it harder to use.</p>

<p>One thing to keep in mind is that the D7100 shares batteries with the D7000. They both use the EN-EL15. The D5200/D5300 use the EN-EL14 and EN-EL14a. Once you need to buy an extra battery or two, it'll further narrow the price difference.</p>

<p>And is your Tokina 11-16 the old or new version. The old version has no AF motor so that it won't AF on the D5300.</p>

<p>Hopefully there will be discounts in December.</p>

<p>I know I am moving out of the price range you are thinking of but I would recommend the D600. You will get superior low light performance and be able to take better advantage of wide angle lenses for your landscape work. There is the D610 of course, but I expect that because of that the D600 will be a real bargain by the first of the year.<br /><br />I also do nature photography and for me the D600 & D7100 make an awesome team. Yes, I do get sensor spots, the problem is real, but cleaning the sensor is not especially tricky once you get past the intimidation factor and for the way I shoot it is not like it has to be a daily ritual. I have shot something like 12,000 images on my D600 and only cleaned the sensor twice.<br /><br />I would have a very hard time moving from the D7000, which my wife shoots, to a lower end D5xxx series camera. We had a D5000 a year ago and while it was a very nice camera it really wasn't well laid out for serious work. Most of the same tools are there, but digging through menus to get to them is a real mood killer. That said the swivel screen is awesome. Laying in the mud on low angle shots to see what you are doing is also a mood killer.</p>

<p>I've often thought about getting a FF camera, but I think I've talked my self out of it for now. The lens costs are higher for the most part and I already have a head start on a DX set. The D7100 sounds like the obvious choice, since the lay out and battery are the same, hmmm $1200.00 vs $800.00, the difference could buy.....? By the way, are speed lights that useful for outdoor photography?</p>

Some wildlife photographers use flash to add some sparkle to the eyes, freeze movement, create a detailed image of tye

subject while providing a sense of movement with rear sync flash, to accentuate the subject from background and

otherwise improve lighting. Also, in macro photography flash is used by many to bring out the subject and darken the

background and freeze movement; true macro (1x or slightly greater) subjects are demanding because the small

apertures are often needed to keep most of the subjects within acceptable depth of field and any movement due to wind

or camera vibration can ruin the picture.

Although I could benefit from flash in my outdoor macro photography, I don't do it because of the weight of the additional

gear. In my close up photography of technical subjects at work, instrument parts etc. I do use flash in the lab. It is very

useful to bring out key features of the object and to obtain clean color rendition.

If you are into moving subjects, get the D7100. If mostly static subjects, landscape and macro, you may prefer the

D5300; GPS data will help you find subjects based on location in your library of pictures. For my own use, although I would like

a camera with a screen like the D5300's, I would still get the D7100 for its AF and quality optical viewfinder. If Nikon put the tilting LCD screen of the D5300 into the D7100 I would pick one up tomorrow.

<p>I have a D40, D5100 and D7100 and every new camera has been a significant step up. They are all great, but I feel at each step I have gotten what I paid for. After having a D7000, you may feel that the 5xxx is a less-serious and less convenient-to-use tool and I would have to agree. It is an advanced entry-level camera vs. the mid-range orientation of the 7xxx and 6xx, and you will immediately notice the difference. Have you held and compared the two in a store?</p>

<p>I have held both and both feel ok, I do like the familiar feel of the D7100 over the plasticky feel of the D5200 (D5300 not out yet). But this wouldn't be an "upgrade" but an add on. Still I'm leaning towards the D7100, I'll be waiting till after the first of the year. Going to Italy next month and need to absorb that expense first.</p>

• 1 year later...