Shooting a wedding AND in the wedding party

jack_wells

<p>My best friend is getting married in 1.5 weeks (it's very sudden!) and I am her maid up honor/one of the 2 in the wedding party. She also asked me to take pictures. I'm not sure how to make this work; I'm concerned about being too close to the bride/groom for good pics and being unable to move around and too far from the audience. I don't want to switch lenses during the wedding (it will be short and small, but still) so I'm trying to borrow a camera from a friend (one that is almost the same as mine).<br /><br />My gear: <br /><br />Camera: Canon Rebel t3i<br />Lenses:<br />18-55mm 3.5/f<br />55-250mm 3.5/f<br />50mm 1.4/f<br />100mm 2.8 Macro L<br /><br /><br />I'm thinking of renting a lens for the week (so I can practice/play beforehand), maybe something with a slight zoom but better able open up the aperature then my 18-55 &55-250 lenses. <br /><br />So, after all that, here's my question: Does anyone have any recommendations? I've been looking at lenses on line and comparing them, but that's not quite enough.<br /><br />Here are some that I liked:<br /><br /><br>

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8<br />Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM<br />Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM<br />Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM AF<br /><br />Any input?</p>

<p>wow all the very best of luck...the 18-55 is a great all round lens that will be able to handle you being up close to the guys in question, and reach far enough to grab some emotive shots of the audience as it were.<br>

I would be using the 50mm 1.4 becuase of the gorgeous shallow depth. This is a wonderful, soft effect for weddings, keeping it as wide as possible.<br>

i am fairly new as well, but you seem to have a nice range of lens's. I am embarking on weddings next year and shall be taking two cameras to save switching between len's too often.<br>

good luck x</p>

<p>Are you The Official Photographer? Someone at least will have to photograph you, and that someone is going to have to know how to take photos. A second camera is a great idea: it is surprising when a fault can develop in a camera. I second the idea of the 50mm f1.4: the out of focus backgrounds can alleviate the problems of backgrounds that an inexperienced photographer can befall. The only other thing I can say is to practise in as similar an environment as possible well beforehand. What about flash? Fill flash with a diffuser can make a big improvement.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>So, after all that, here's my question: Does anyone have any recommendations?</p>

</blockquote>

<p><strong>Apropos the Lens to rent:</strong><br />The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM would be my first choice followed by the Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 as my second choice.<br>

<br />***<br /><br />A dedicated Flash and the knowledge and experience as to how to use it would be a necessity also, for me.<br /><br />I would forget all the other Lenses, you'll likely be up to your parts just using one lens and performing your Wedding Party duties, let alone making lens changes and carrying the extra lens around.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p><strong>As a general recommendation:</strong><br />Respectfully decline the request to do the Photography and enjoy the Wedding.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Um, no. Accept that you can do one job or the other, but not both.</p>

<p>At my daughter's graduation ceremony (a small affair put on by several families, which we organized) my wife asked me to take pictures. I also participated in setup and the ceremony. I failed miserably at the photography task for the evening, and thus learned that, if I'm involved in something I can't take pictures. I can do one thing, and one thing only. It's just not possible to multitask in a situation like that.</p>

<p>Do your friend a huge favor, and decline one of the jobs.</p>

<p><observation>It's an outrageous, nonsensical request. I won't comment on the wisdom of even considering it.</observation></p>

You will have to hand the camera off to someone you trust to take photos that include you in the photo. The 50mm fixed lens would be best for that. You can compose for the right distance and don't have to worry about losing the composition with a zoom lens that someone may zoom in or out. Frame the shots loosely so you have some play to crop and adjust.
James G. Dainis

<p>I was a "man of honor" (i.e., a male "maid of honor") as well as a "second" photographer in a wedding of a friend a long time ago (they had a professional "first" photographer). During the ceremony, I handed the camera to one of the guests - there's no way you can stand next to the couple and take photos without being a distraction for everyone.<br>

My suggestion is this: as a wedding gift to the couple, hire a photographer who will come shoot at least the ceremony and formals (with you in the photos), but preferably the entire wedding, so you can enjoy it. If the couple doesn't expect world class photography (which is what it sounds like), you don't have to hire a world-class photographer, just make sure the photographer can get decent photos of the ceremony. <br>

Good luck and enjoy the wedding!</p>

You probably don't want to hear this. Can you and a few friends get together and hire a photographer? Throw your money together? This

way you can be in the pictures in the wedding and have fun too?

If not, I'd probably use the 18x55 and get a good flash. Maybe rent one. The on camera flash isn't powerful

enough. You need something that connects to the hot shoe and you will need to change batteries around

every 75 shots.

You can do a really nice job with the one lens and a good flash.

<p>I would decline. Even if you weren't in the wedding, it doesn't sound like you are an experienced wedding photographer and it doesn't sound like you have the right gear (what you have is usable but at the very least you also need a backup body, a flash and a backup flash and to learn how to use them). And even if you were an experienced wedding photographer with all the right gear, there might be some things you can shoot but you simply cannot be in the ceremony and shoot the ceremony at the same time.</p>

• 3 weeks later...