D7000 and Yongnuo flash needs a cable to make my life complete

peter_perry

<p>After a couple of years without a strobe, I finally decided that I wanted to play around with one, but without breaking the bank. So I bought a Yongnuo 468-II and it works great on the camera's hot shoe. It also works great as a slave in "S2" mode in conjunction witht he onboard flash which seems to preserve the iTTL features of the camera. But when I tried to use an off-camera hot shoe cable (Vivitar brand for Nikon) it didn't work. I'm fairly sure the problem is with the cable and have returned it to the "major online retailer." But now I'm nervous... will a different of brand cable work, or should I spring for the Nikon SC-28 (which costs almost as much as the flash), or is the problem endemic to the Yongnuo flash?<br /><br />Has anyone successfully paired a Yongnuo 468-II flash to their Nikon using the SC-28 or another brand of cable?</p>

<p>I have a YongNuo clone of an SC-28, which worked, and continues to work absolutely fine with a D700. However, shortly after I bought my D800 I discovered that the YN clone cable wouldn't work with it. I tinkered and discovered that simply adjusting the position of the wires in the remote end of the cable made it work. This leads me to believe that Nikon have either speeded up the i-TTL signals from flash to camera, or made their cameras more 'picky' about the quality of signal. I strongly suspect that Nikon have an upgrade to their flash system in the pipeline; similar to what Canon have done with their wireless lighting.</p>

<p>Despite looking well-made on the outside, the YN clone SC-28A has no termination resistors, and cable layout is very messy inside the hotshoe adapters; in short it's not very well built from an electronic 'transmission line' standpoint. Whether a genuine SC-28 is any better I don't know. I'm not going to spring for Nikon's price to find out, since my YN clone now works OK with the D800. In any case I usually use simple radio triggers and go fully manual when using off-camera flash, because the length of an SC-28 is too short and limiting anyway. One meter or so away from the hotshoe isn't really what I'd call off-camera. It's OK for macro lighting, but that's about it.</p>

<p>There's also a safety issue with having a springy coiled cable stretched between the camera and the top of a lighting stand. My advice, Peter, would be to forget cable extenders altogether and get some radio triggers - with or without i-TTL capability.</p>