Olympus OM1n Flash-shoe

jessica_jones7

<p>Shoe 4 has the extra 2 electronic contacts to allow flashes T-20, T-32 and others to show sufficient flash power for correct exposures in the OM-1n and OM-2n viewfinder. The basic hot shoe will function to fire an on-camera flash but without the viewfinder confirmation.</p>

<p>That is a Shoe 4 so it will have full functionality on your OM-1n. Unfortunately, its been years since I owned an OM-1n so I can't remember exactly what "full functionality" means on the OM-1n.</p>

<p>I think the seller's description is wrong, because as far as I can recall, the OM-2 had a different shoe (Shoe 2?). Both the OM-1n and OM-2n used the Shoe 4.</p>

<p>Don't pay too much for an OM shoe. They tend to crack easily - I can see telltale cracks in the plastic, visible in the photo on that auction. Sometimes they'll work anyway but occasionally the cracks also affect the metal contacts. I repaired the cracked shoes on my OMs so often the original plastic was almost completely replaced by superglue and epoxy.</p>

<p>If you plan to use flash a lot with an OM-1 or OM-2 series SLR, you might be better off with a compact flash bracket and sync cord.</p>

<p>In 40 years of using the OM-1 I've used the flash shoe about 4 times, and only with a little compact flash. Normally if I use flash I want some power, at least an ISO 100 GN of 80 in feet. That requires a bracket and PC cord. Normally my flash shoe lives in the sock drawer as the OM-1 just feels so much smaller without it.</p>