Nikon D600: To kit or not to kit. This is the question I ask.

peterd

<p>Hi guys, thanks in advance particularly to the studs like Shun and countless others who seemingly never tire or replying to these questions. I will be looking to finally purchase a D600 in the next few months, probably around Black Friday though I might jump sooner if the right deal comes out. I had not really planned to consider kits but now wonder if I should. The background is that I have had a D80 for almost 6 years. I like it and with 11 AF points getting 39 will make me giddy since I don't find counting pixels and AF points useful anyways. What I like is the features and price point and I honestly don't need a D800 nor likely would I ever so I am not going there. :) Where I get into the conundrum is whether to even consider kit lenses. To be up front I intended to buy the body only and use what I have accumulated and add according to need. I currently own 3 fx lenses: 50MM F1.8, 85MM f1.8 and a 70-300 AF ED from about 10 years ago. None are AF-S btw but that shouldn't matter. I also have a 18-200VR AF-S DX lens. Usually boxed lenses are throw away or fluff, but I am seeing comments from some respected folks that make me think if the Costco deal that ran around 2400 were to come around should I consider. Any thoughts on that? I had planned to maybe get something perhaps like a 24-120 but wonder if a kit might to better and if its really any form of upgrade. I plan to upgrade to a f14 50mm at some point but maybe that would be pointless upgrade with a different lens. Thoughts? Thanks, Peter</p>

<p>It all depends on what you are going to do with your camera and if you have any use for the kit zoom lens.<br /> If you want the 24-85mm f3.5-f4.5 VR you might as well buy the kit. If you don't want it then just get the body.</p>

<p>According to amazon prices you pay an additional $400 to get the kit lens as well when you buy the D600. If you just buy the lens it's $600.</p>

<p>The 24-120 f/4 VR is a much more expensive lens. $1300 on amazon.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Mostly I am into people, some stills and portrait. I am interested occasionally in landscape and nature but not the priority. The kit I find interesting actually also included the 70-300 with the 24-85 at about 2400 (costco) when available. Its that which sparks the dilemma. I can then either sell or keep either lens etc. The discount is actually quite significant there.</p>

<p>I have the D600 with the kit lens. I also have a 50 f/1.8 and 85 f/1.8 which I use primarily for portraits. The 24-85 kit lens is a great walk around all purpose lens, and has received very good reviews for a kit lens. It's not the fastest lens, but it does have VR which buys you a few stops of light. I mostly use my 50mm or 85mm f/1.8 if I am shooting low light or indoors. I shoot street photography with the kit lens. It gives me a nice zoom range for that work. The 70-300 VR is also a great lens, especially for travel since it has that additional reach. Famous photographer Jay Maisel uses that lens for alot of his street photography. I wouldn't bother with the 24-120. You're set already in my opinion, unless you sell the kit lens and the 70-300 and get the 24-120, but not both. </p>

<p>I kinda went the opposite, in that I bought the D600 with the kit lens but I seldom use it on the D600; it mainly gets used on my F6. It's quite a good lens and worth the price as part of the kit. I jumped on it around Christmas time last year when they were going for under $2K and am deliriously happy with both camera and lens for that price.</p>

<p>You have some very usable lenses in your collection but nothing wide. It you ever shoot group shot portraits, you may find the "crummy ol' kit lens" is pretty nice to have around.</p>

<p>I shoot mostly outdoor landscape both day and night but often with tripod and recently replaced an AF- D 35-70mm f/2.8 with the 24-85mm variable aperture VR kit lens that comes with the D600.</p>

<p>This 24-85mm VR lens I purchased for approx. US $380.00 as a kit lens cast off so virtually brand new and at this price I'm truly delighted with this lens for my stated purposes. As a hand held mid range zoom proposition it's IQ is plenty acceptable, it is a reasonably close focusing lens, build quality is fine, the platic lens shell is accepatable and has a metal mounting ring and the VR appears to work better for me than the VR on my beloved 70-200mm f/2.8 VR version 1 lens.</p>

<p>If you need to freeze fast moving subject matter or often shoot in very dark conditions then nothing will work better than a wide aperture lens and a well noise controlled high ISO setting but for general purpose daylight shooting with occasional VR assist I say the 24-85mm VR is excellent value for money matched as a kit lens with the D600.</p>

<p>The kit 24-85VR is way better than the old 70-300D ED, better than a 18-200VR.... if you're happy with how those lenses perform, this kit lens will blow you away. Basically, not all seperate sold lenses are great, not all kitlenses are throw-away fluff.<br>

<br /> I have the 24-120 f/4VR, it's quite a bit larger and heavier, maybe a tiny tiny bit better (maybe), and most of all more than twice the price. I like the extra range (plus the 77mm filter size), but if you're OK with a slightly shorter range, the kitlens is a far better deal.<br /> For the 50mm, assuming you have the 50 f/1.8D, the best upgrade in my view is to the 50mm f/1.8G - doesn't sound as exciting an update as the f/1.4 lenses, but it's a much better lens than the old f/1.8D in each and every way, plus it's half the price of the f/1.4 lenses.</p>

<p>Thanks Wouter, have you had any experience with the bundle that has the 28-300? Seems like a rather wide gamut to cover but it does get a pretty wide range. I know I can get some money for some of my stuff, particularly the 18-200 if I opt to dispense that and am curious if anyone has monkeyed with that lens.</p>

<p>Peter, I know one person using the 28-300, and when I first saw it, I was quite amazed how large it is. Personally, I have no experience with it, other than reading tests. For a 11x zoom, it looks quite good. But it is a 11x zoom, and frankly already the 24-120 ("just" 5x zoom) pays a price of being a compromise. If you are fine with the 18-200 now, the 28-300 might fit you like a glove, though. But I'd recommend to visit a store to see this lens, and it's certainly larger than a 18-200 is all ways.</p>

<p>Thanks all for the replies. As you can see from my late night full wine belly order post time, I pulled the trigger on a refurb from Adorama. Its funny because I bought my D80 from them in 2008 also. So since its only a body I will work with the lenses I have for now though I plan to sell my D80, and probably the 50mm (throw in w d80 to sweeten deal) and likely the 18-200VR since per ebay there is some money to be made there. I am not inclined to sell my 85mm but I think I may consider selling my 70-300 and replace it with something else in short order. I am going to keep an eye out for the kit castoffs etc. Thanks again. Peter</p>

<p>@Peter:</p>

<p>I did sign up. Not sure if I'm supposed to get an email or anything, but I did sign up. I have put the camera in my cart even. No option for a warranty outside of expensive Mack warranty shows up anywhere that I see.<br /><br />I did call Adorama even and they said that it is no longer available... I have no idea. </p>