W/NW: Medium Format Photo of the Month: August 2013

saintelmo21

<p>Spent more time fishing and driving the boat than I did photographing anything on our summer vacation this year. Either way, we had a blast. So, post a photo on this month's thread if you care to. Include as much or as little information as you like. Look forward to seeing your pics. Below is with Rolleiflex TLR 2.8F, and I can't remember what film.</p><div>00bukN-541927584.jpg.165afa758ddbef676c03daab2a53721e.jpg</div>

<p>This is an image of the Island of Symi in Greece. Lovely place with lots of photo opportunities. Hope top go back some day.<br /> Tried to get this image rated but no sign of the Rate image button under Photo Admin. Anyone any ideas.</p>

<p>Image was too big so see how this works!</p><div>00bvZR-542028484.jpg.2263808b8c328e1814721b5231fd64c3.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Frank,<br>

4th time lucky!<br>

Stick to 2 rules and you won't have any problem posting images inline:</p>

<p>1) No wider than 700 pixels. 700 perfect, 701 bad.<br>

2) You must enter a caption at upload time.</p>

<p>There is supposedly a 3rd rule - filesize no larger than 100 KBytes - but I have certainly uploaded images which were over 100 kb (even over 200 kb) and they were displayed fine. (Perhaps they underwent some extra compression post-upload? Just thinking aloud).</p>

<p>If you scroll up you'll see that most of us (E., Raymond, Ludwig, Bogdan, Ben, and myself) have maximised the impact of our photos by scaling their width to exactly 700 pixels or just under it.<br>

I would recommend that all contributors routinely do this - we all want to see your photos at their permissable best!</p>

<p>Just as an experiment - I wanted to see if the 700 pixels restriction applies only to the <em>width </em>of photos and not their height. So this is a portrait format photo with 700 pixels width and <strong>966</strong> pixels height. </p>

<p>It's sort of my signature photo - combining three of my loves and skills: medium format gear, astrophotography, and observatories & other night landscapes away from sources of light pollution. This was taken from the same general location as my Caldera de Taburiente photo above, and again with a Mamiya 645, but 15 years later. <br>

Mamiya 645 1000s, 55/2.8 N lens at f/5.6, 4 minutes exposure, Kodak E200 slide.</p><div>00bvhQ-542042584.thumb.jpg.ddb1adebb0d144c611901d22034b996d.jpg</div>

<p>Well that experiment give a clear outcome: 700 pixels is the limit for *both* dimensions!<br /> As soon as I attempted the upload, it warned me as such:<br /> "You have uploaded a photo more then 700px height, it will not display inline. Are you sure you want to add this photo to your post?"</p>

<p>So here is a smaller inline version (507 x 700 pixels), for completeness.</p>

<p> </p><div>00bvhV-542042684.jpg.bf17b37c3e3b97488343ac1058f3b920.jpg</div>

<p>I always use irfanview to resize the photos I post on PN. Every one of them posted in the forums is 699. I haven't had a problem yet. Also, if you don't want a caption, you can just hit the space bar in the caption box. Great turn out this month!</p>