contax vs mamiya

doug_mcgoldrick1

I have a Contax. Don't know about Mamiya but I understand it is a fine camera too. The Contax does have some features that the Mamiya doesn't have such as TTL pre-flash metering and interchangable viewfinders. A waist level finder (perserving spot metering) is currently available, and rumor has it that a 45 degree finder is due to be announced. Other rumored products are a line on in-shutter lenses going to 1/1000 with flash sync at all speeds, and some zooms.

I love my Contax, by the way

Actually a better argument would be to compare film from your Hassy with 645 from either of the other choices. Philosophically, you are changing your entire format and approach to framing etc. Yes, the Hassy system is pricey, but longevity and system value are much longer with Hassy.

I've had the Mamiya 645AF for about a month now and love the handling and the surprisingly quick & quiet AF - it feels like and has all of the features of a top-end 35mm camera. Only downside is having to wait for new AF lenses to become available. I would suspect that it would be nearly impossible to tell the difference in image quality with the Contax, Mamiya, and Hassy. any decision you make, including staying with the hassy, will be a good one as you can't go wrong with any of them.