Yellowstone spring

dip_ganguly

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Yellowstone around Early June this year.Can

anyone tell me whether it is too early for spring or not. I know the

average temperature is around 60 degrees , what I need to know is

whether spring flowers are in bloom around that time or not.

Thanks

Dip

Went to Yellowstone/Grand Teton last year June 12-18. There are a few

spring flowers, but I think the best flowers are in late June and

July. It's in the 60s in the daytime, but can get down to the 20s at

night so be prepared if you're camping or in an unheated cabin. It's a

pretty good time as far as crowds are concerned - they're there, but

not massive yet. There will probably be some entrances that aren't

open yet and probably some snow on certain roads./

The last time I went to Yellowstone, it was the middle of May and there were still 8' drifts of snow on the ground; half of the roads were still closed for winter. It's easy to forget that spring takes forever to get around to the higher elevations.

<BR><BR>

The bottom line: ask the people who have lived and worked there. Hit the park home page, <A HREF="http://www.nps.gov/yell/home.htm">http://www.nps.gov/yell/home.htm</A>, and email the rangers.

Most of Yellowstone is at an altitude of between 7500 to 8300 feet above sea level. Early June snow storms are quite possible. In a normal year wildflowers should peak between July 15- July 30.

Severe afternoon hail/snow/rain storms can develope in short order so carry your rain shell and and sweater.

Mosquitoes also peak at this time so bring your bug juice! Watch out for the moose as they're not cows. A cow moose will kill to defend her calves. The buffalo are also not domestic in any sense of the word, they are not to be trifled with. Needless to say the grizzlies are best viewed from inside your car!!! Enjoy the flowers and don't feed the wildlife or become feed for the wildlife.

From central Wyoming...

Dip,

Having lived in Southeast Idaho, a mere 110 miles from the West Yellowstone entrance, I can tell you that it is still cold. Idaho Falls is at 4500 ft / 1500 m elevation, and the park itself is at 7500-8000 ft. There is still snow. If you are of the more adventurous type, try this backroads entrance (the nature and landscape photos I took during this adventure became popular greeting cards among my friends):

Find Ashton, ID and travel east on ID 47 several miles. Go east on Marysville road until you reach Cave Falls road. If you haven't wimped out at this point, go east some more and you will find "Kodak Moments" aplenty. This is bear country, so do be careful. Remember to pay your entrance fee ($20).

Grand Tetons NP is next door, so plan on going there as well. Our favorite was the ferry on Jenny lake - the water is so clear that you can see numerous trout ignoring the popcorn that tourists have tossed.

Have a wonderful trip!