Upgrade from rebel xt?

mls

<p>At risk of exposing my equipment naivety, I need some advice on an upgrade from a rebel xt (preferably a new body I could use with lenses I already have). I got my xt a few years back and it was great for learning; I'm just ready for something better. Specifically, I'd like sensor cleaning and a 9-point AF so I can get better results when faster than f/3.5. However, cost is an issue. I'm out of work while I'm going through some medical treatments and my camera is keeping me sane so I need a good upgrade at a good price. Anyone have any suggestions?</p>

<p>I had one of those "back in the day," and managed to make some fine photographs with it. If you are generally pleased with that type of camera - the smaller "Rebel" style Canon cameras - the current tXi cameras could be just the ticket. (The "X" in my "tXi" is replaced by a number in the real camera designations: t1i, t2i, t3i, t4i, t5i.)</p>

<p>You do not necessarily need the very newest one, but if you tend to hand onto cameras this long, why not?</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>The Canon XTi/400D introduced the sensor cleaning feature, has over 10 MP, 9-point focus -- and sells at Buy-It-Now prices on eBay at under $180. You could probably find one for less by bidding.</p>

<p>I had one, which my daughter now has, and found it to be a superb little camera. I'd love to have it with the kit lens for a small street shooter, but she won't give it back to me. </p>

<p>If you'd invest a little more, you could probably also find the much improved EF-S 18-55mm with the image stabilization feature - a big improvement over the earlier version. Another good one to get is the EF 50mm f/1.8 mark ii prime lens, also available cheap.</p>

<p>Marissa, if you want a "new" camera from a prior generation, you might try finding a factory refurbished one. They're often a great deal, and I've found refurb equipment to be just like new -- and possibly even better than new (more precisely calibrated and gone over with more attention to detail by a factory technician). I've bought much of my equipment this way.</p>

<p>Factory refurbs tend to be current or recent models and may not be within your price range, but that is a good idea if you can afford one. Failing that, look at what is available in your price range s/h from either the Rebel (XXXD) series or the XXD series, and get the most recent one you can afford.</p>

<p>Thanks: Probably not, though.<br>

The 10 to 22 is an EF-S and the 18 to 55 is also an EF-S Lens.<br>

But you have answered my question suitably. <br>

I was only curious about your lenses, should you have (actually) had <em>only EF lenses</em>, in which case you might have considered a refurbished 5D. But considering that possibility would be silly now, as you do have two EF-S lenses which would not fit on a 5D.</p>

<p>All good advice above, IMO. Good luck with your choice.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p> </p>

<p>for compatibility with your current lenses, as well as optimizing for a tight budget, I'd probably stick with a a T1i or a T2i, T1is can be had used for ~$225+, and the T2i's for a bit more (~$350+). The extra 3MP of the sensor is probably not as important as the improved noise characteristics in the 18MP sensor equipped T2i, but of course both will substantially outperform the 350D. <br>

Of course don't forget that doing so will require that you also downgrade your memory cards to SD cards, since the last Rebel equipped w/ CF cards was the XTi. While the xxDs continued to use CF cards until the 60D, a 40D or 50D will run you a bit more (though you will get more camera :) )</p>