70-300 mm zoom lens for Cannon Rebel XTi

maria_black

<p>Hello, I am looking for a zoom lens for my Rebel XTi camera. I'm photography enthusiast so I take pictures as a hobby, nothing professional. The main use of the lens will be wildlife pictures (primarily birds), landscapes. Good low light capabilities are a plus, but not a must. Most importantly I need a lens with fast focus and good image quality so looking for models with build in image stabilizer. Price is important too, since I'm not a pro I don't plan on spending a fortune but at the same time I would like a descent lens. <br>

So far I have been looking at this model: <a href="http://m.bhphotovideo.com/mobile/detail?R=397663_USA&title=EF">http://m.bhphotovideo.com/mobile/detail?R=397663_USA&title=EF</a> 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens&itemcode=CA7030045ISQ<br>

Does anyone use this one? Any feedback or recommendations for other lenses based on the above requirements? <br>

Thanks!</p>

<p><br />I have the lens and love it. I use it with my 5DII. Excellent value for the price. I've used it for a variety of reasons; sports, landscape, general vacation photos, you name it. I think image quality is great and focus speed is reasonable, depending on situation. I've gotten excellent images with it when used outdoors in daylight. In darker situations its not a fast lens especially zoomed at 300 its only f/5.6. But even then, if your technique is good or using a tripod, you should be able to get great images. I've used it indoors to photograph gymnastics where the gyms are not too bright and that's where I've discovered its limitations. I've had to really crank up the ISO to get decent shutter speeds and even then I was only getting to 1/200 if I was lucky. I've since switched to the 70-200 2.8.<br />The lens is relatively light so that is a plus. Overall I think its a great all-purpose telephoto lens for the price.<br />Good luck!</p>

<p>At this price point, there are two lenses that most people consider. One is the Canon you mentioned; the second is the Tamron 70-300 VC. Both have image stabilization and similar optical performance.... you will find some preference for one or the other depending on what review, test, or comment you come across, but my impression is the optical performance of the two are comparable. Potential advantages of the Tamron are longer warranty, included lens hood, full-time manual focus over-ride, no rotation of front lens element when focussing, and less expensive. The Canon is....well, a Canon... with all the potential benefits of a lens made by the manufacturer of your camera. A third choice, if you can live with a shorter telephoto range is the Canon 55-250.... this seems to get a lot of recommendations as an affordable "first" telephoto zoom.<br />My choice (also for an XTi) was the Tamron... I am very pleased with results I got using it on a safari trip in South Africa.</p>

<p>Maria, this lens is a very popular one that is sold in great numbers, so there's considerable economy of scale. It's a very good lens for a reasonable price. I like that it is fairly light and compact for a full frame lens of that length. I often prefer it to my 70-200 f/4 L IS lens (one of Canon's best) when I'm hiking. The image quality is almost as good.</p>

<p>Maria,<br>

Although I don't have any experience with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM specifically, I do have experience with the EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM L and would like to share a few experiences and possibly pass on some information that you may find useful.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"The main use of the lens will be wildlife pictures (primarily birds), landscapes. Good low light capabilities are a plus, but not a must. Most importantly I need a lens with fast focus and good image quality so looking for models with build in image stabilizer. Price is important too, since I'm not a pro I don't plan on spending a fortune but at the same time I would like a descent lens."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The 300mm focal length for most wildlife and birds will barely be adequate unless your hunting/stalking skills are exceptional.<br>

On the good side though, . . . with the crop sensor of your XTi, that focal length will appear to be that of a 480mm lens which you may find adequate for some wildlife and birds. </p>

<p>I would highly recommend the EF 100-400 but it would be 3-4X the cost of the EF 70-300 and, then again you are still near the minimum recommended focal length for wildlife and bird photography. The advantage with the EF 100-400 is that it will couple with either the 1.4X or 2.0X Teleconverters for more reach. However, in most cases without the advantage of Autofocus if below an aperture of f/8.0 unless using a one series camera body or a very few other Canon bodies. (and I'm not up to date on which ones will AF with the TC's below f/8.0)</p>

<p>I do not know if the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM will couple with any of the TC's. Make certain you do the research! Please! . . . I've heard of so many disappointments for those that make the assumption that the TC's will couple with nearly any lens!</p>

<p>So, in my opinion, it appears the 70-300 is your best alternatiive unless you are really going to blow your anticipated budget for this lens!</p>

<p>With that said, . . . a few basic hints to get the most out of the lens.</p>

<ul>

<li>Use of a Monopod or Tripod and remote shutter release when possible.</li>

<li>Don't be afraid to use higher ISO's. ISO 400 is a good starting point to help maintain higher shutter speeds. Not sure how well the XTi performs with higher ISO's so, if your XTi is not too noisy at higher ISO, then go higher.</li>

<li>Shoot at larger aperture when possible. If zoomed to 300mm (which is where you will find you will do most of your Wildlife & Bird photography.) shoot at f/5.6 or f/6.3 as much as possible.</li>

<li>Learn/improve your hunting skills to get as close to your subjects as you can.</li>

<li>Be patient! . . . then learn to acquire more patience!</li>

</ul>

<p>When I tell someone the "Patience" part as it relates to wildlife photography I can't help but think of the Encarta Dictionary definition;<br>

patience (noun)<br>

1. <strong>Capacity for waiting</strong><br>

The ability to endure waiting, delay, or provocation without becoming annoyed or upset, or to persevere calmly when faced with difficulties.</p>

<p>Best wishes in your selection Maria!<br>

Regards,<br>

Jim j.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I used to own the Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM which you refer to. I liked it a lot. It was not quite up to Canon 'L' standard but worked very well and was relatively small and lightweight. The IS is quite good with the normal and panning modes (when the camera is shooting a moving object such as a bird in flight). I recommend it or the Tamron (which I have not tried but which comes out about equal for picture quality.<br /> One factor with the Canon / Tamron discussion is resale values. I don't know what they are but it would be worth checking ebay 'completed listing' to get some idea of how the resale values compare.<br>

I should say that I enjoyed using my Canon 70-300 so much that I eventually upgraded to the 'L' version!</p>

<p>While I agre with the comments about the 300mm length not being the best for wildlife (longer is usually better) the Canon 70-300 can work very well in the right circumstances where you can get close enough. Here is a shot taken with the Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 IS of seabirds on cliffs in the Orkney Islands of Scotland.</p><div>00cAdE-543663584.jpg.263f814805c1d3abe6c1030127e829db.jpg</div>

<p>Jim, Colin - thanks for sharing your experience, this is helpful.<br>

EF 100-400 is a bit above my price range, although I've bought before used lenses in wonderful condition in much better price.<br>

I live in Seattle so I am pretty lucky in having variety of wildlife around. For most 300mm is actually perfect - I've taken good pictures of shore birds, blue Jay's in the city or the mountains, elks and even foxes. I don't know if it is my stalking skills or just those foxes are not afraid of people but I was able to get really close by walking very slowly, one step at a time.<br>

I would consider the 400mm for objects like eagles higher in the trees or orcas - I tried before 300mm on orca tour but the zoom was not enough.<br>

thanks again for the helpful advices!<br>

Maria</p>

<p>I have the Tamron 70-300 VC and a Rebel XSi. There are times when I wish I had a longer lens when I'm trying to get pictures of birds, but I'm not a pro and this hit the price point I could put towards this hobby. I have been very happy with it. I did have an issue where the lens stopped focusing after about a year and a half. I sent it off to Tamron and they fixed it and shipped it back as good as new for no charge since it was still under warranty.</p>

<p>I went through the same thing you are going through. I'm not a pro, but I am avid. I shoot a ton of photos. I love shooting birds. I started with the lens you are thinking about. 70-300 IS USM. It's not a bad lens. But I would strongly recommend saving up, or doing what can to get the 100-400L. I got a used version for about $1200. You might even find one for little less, but not much. But it is well worth it. If you want to shoot birds, you'll be much happier with the extra 100mm. It matters a lot. I can almost guarantee you will eventually move to it anyway.<br>

That being said, if you can't swing it, the 70-300 is not bad. You'll get the best results stopped down a couple stops. Around f/8. Of course, that requires light to get a good shutter speed. Everyone has their own style, mine is to shoot in Av, to keep the aperture at the sweet spot, and adjust the ISO to get the shutter speed up as needed. AI servo, usually center focus point, but I change it as needed. I don't like to focus and recompose. And of course, burst.</p>