Holga like images but with 6x7 Negative

tara_ratliff

<p>The only thing I can think of would be the Zero Image pinhole 120 camera. (Easy to find on Google). It is a gorgeous handmade wooden camera that even takes very good photos (for a pinhole). I have the 69 model. This has dividers inside that allow you to shoot in either 6 x 6 or 6 x 7 or 6 x 9 formats.</p>

<p>Some folks have mentioned reversing optical elements in their old cameras or making other modifications to produce more softness and distortion.</p>

<p>I tried something like that with an Agfa folder. I used Flitz polish to remove the coating, hoping to provoke more flare and softness. But the lens was too good. No real vignetting or edge softness like a toy camera.</p>

<p>There are lots of 120 film 6x9cm folders out there. The trouble is that even the ones like the Kodak Jiffy (actually 620, and you do have to respool, it won't work with the 120 reel) with their simple meniscus lenses are maybe too high quality for what you want, unless you are shaky at I (usually 1/30 sec).</p>

<p>Hmm... You know, I really can't think of a single toy/vintage/primative camera that was made in 6x7 format. Maybe none exist? I think the 6x7 format was developed and thought of as a sort of "professional" format, so maybe that is why. If you could "get by" with 6x9 format, there exists a HUGE variety of old box, folding, and viewfinder cameras from which you might choose. If you decided to go that route I am sure that we folks would have a nearly limiltess supply of opinions to offer you, for which of these comes closest to what you are looking for. :)</p>

<p>If you really have your heart set on 6x7, I think your best bet would be to acquire one of the above mentioned 6x9 cameras and then either craft a custom 6x7 mask for it or else crop in scanning/post-processing (or mask in the darkroom if you print that way). If you are willing to do any of that, then the Holga 6x12 panoramic camera may be an option for you as well. But be aware that when cropping to 6x7, you will have a considerably narrower field of view due to that camera's longer focal length - something to consider. It would also be somewhat wasteful of film since you would only be getting six images per roll, with lots of blank space between images. Unless you did the "counting clicks" thing with the wind knob, but you would have to work out that sequence by experimentation. On the other hand, the Holga-esque level of image "quality" (or lack thereof!) that you seek is suprisingly hard to come by, even among the most primitive of older cameras. ;) So that would be one reason to go with the panoramic Holga.</p>

• 3 weeks later...