80mm shutter directly closes

stijn_hemel

<p>Being unable to find a direct answer to my question in previous topics, I'd like to pose my question here.<br>

From one shot to another the shutter appears to be failing.<br />after pressing the shutter release button, the shutter in de lens directly closes and only opens after releasing the shutter release button.<br>

So instead of opening up with a closed aperture, the shutter closes directly.<br>

To me it seems there should be a simple solution because the shutter can open and close, but just not in the right sequences.<br />Hopefully someone can help, otherwise I'll have to send it off for repair.</p>

Stijn,<br>Could you describe the sequence of events step for step (and no step is too small to mention)?<br><br>I ask, because it's not clear to me what you are saying exactly. The normal sequence goes like: - you press the shutter button, and both shutter and aperture (invisible, hidden by the shutter) close - the shutter immediately opens for as long as the exposure is supposed to last (revealing the aperture) - the shutter shuts again, and stays shut until you wind the film and cock the shutter.<br>Closing, opening to expose the film and closing again, waiting for you to cock it, can take no longer than (literally) a fraction of a second.

<p>Alright, hopefully this will clear things up.</p>

<p>As you described the sequence should be " you press the shutter button, and both shutter and aperture (invisible, hidden by the shutter) close - the shutter immediately opens for as long as the exposure is supposed to last (revealing the aperture) - the shutter shuts again, and stays shut until you wind the film and cock the shutter."<br>

Instead I get: you press the shutter button, both the shutter and aperture close, shutter doesn't open for exposure, wind the film and the shutter cocks again.<br>

<br>

Thank you for the help</p>

I see. The unclear bit was the "after releasing the shutter release button", but the thing doesn't open at all until you cock it.<br>There is not much to say, i'm afraid. The shutter needs to be repaired. Perhaps it only needs cleaning. But either way it has to be seen to by somone qualified to do so.<br>If this is an older lens, bought used, it may be less expensive to replace it. Though if you have it repaired/serviced, you can be confident that it will work. It's always a gamble when you buy a used one.

<p>QG de Bakker is right. I would add that if the shutter fires when you take your finger off the release button it shows the mainspring is good but there is a release sequence fault. This fault is usually the lens but check you body works OK with a different lens because it can also be a body fault.<br>

UK price guide for lens repair here- http://classicv.co.uk/pricing.html<br>

and here- http://hasselblad.co.uk/service--support/price-guide-for-v-series.aspx</p>

<p>Thank you for your response Douglas,<br />I've tried the lens on another body already and the same problem occurs.<br />Different lens works on both bodies so it's definitely a lens problem.<br>

I'll check if Dutch prices are lower because for that kind of money I can buy a newer second hand CF version.</p>