Canon FD 28-85 and 35-105

Bill C1664885404

<p>I recently picked up a like new Canon FD 35-105 / 3.5 and found it to be an excellent lens on my Sony NEX-7...looks brand new, IQ is outstanding, etc.<br />I then added its little brother, the Canon 28-85, also like new and initial test shots show it to also produce excellent IQ.<br>

I have a question and am looking for some first hand knowledge about the design of this pair of Canon FD zooms.<br />Compared to all other Canon FD lenses I've had for years, each of these zooms have an unexpected odd characteristic about them:<br />They both make an internal noise when moved around, as if something is loose inside, yet they both seem to function perfectly.<br>

Anybody know anything about this? Thanks</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies...sorry I wasn't more clear.<br>

Based on the above reply about friction rings making noise, that would explain the 35-105.<br>

The other noise in the 28-85 that arrived yesterday right at dark seems to be towards the front of the lens, possibly associated with the focusing mechanism.<br>

If I hold the lens upright in my hand and tilt it back and forth there definitely is a sound like something is loose...and it seems worse / louder when the focusing ring is at the max 85mm position than the 28mm end.<br>

And just trying some shots this morning, the 85mm end won't focus...definitely a problem... will be returning it ASAP. At least I got a 28-85 in my hands long enough to know I want one and will have to find another.<br>

Thanks again for the replies.</p>

<p>I also have both of these optically excellent zooms, but would have to say that the build quality of the 28-85 is by far the worst of any FD lens I have ever had. The focusing mechanism in mine hasn't deteriorated to the point of yours, Bill, but I have no doubt that it eventually will.</p>

<p>Don't like to hear that...yes, a shame it wasn't built as an identical twin to the 35-105...but with other lenses also available to choose from (as well as being "59 and holding"...LOL) I suspect I won't be using it enough to encounter that much wear.<br>

(This defective one with the internal problem is going back and I've initiated proceedings to do that)<br>

Plus I found another one just listed from a place in Conn. where I bought a used FD lens in the past...it was exactly as described "Excellent + condition" like the FD 28-85 he just listed...so it'll be here Friday and I'll know soon if it's tight and good.<br>

I know there's a lot of overlap with the 35-105 but the 28-85 is just shorter enough that when mounted on an NEX-7 with an FD/NEX adapter, I can carry it around easier (bagged in the back of a hunting vest for example) than the longer zoom and still have decent coverage during those outings.<br>

Thanks for the heads up... </p>

<p>I recently aquired an nFD 35-105 / 3.5 and both the focus and zoom rings are working smoothly. However, my copy of the nFD 35-70 / 2.8-3.5 has a rather 'dry' feeling zoom ring which occasionally binds with a couple of tight spots. Focusing is unaffected and the lens performs beautifully. It's one of my favorite lenses for every day use when I don't want to carry several short primes or more than one body.<br>

I have read elsewhere, (wish I could find reference), that the helix for the zoom ring is quite coarse and drive is transmitted from the zoom ring to the lens via nylon studs or pegs which run in a helical groove. Apparently these nylon studs will wear over time resulting in rougher operation of the zoom ring. In this same article it said that an American Canon service guy could replace the nylon studs with similar parts from more modern EF zooms, (EOS autofocus), which are teflon coated and would hopefully have a long service life.<br>

This method of zoom ring construction may be common for other NFD zoom lenses of the two ring type, (not the trombone push/pull zooms).<br>

I'll have to contact my Australian CLA guy, at Cameracheckpoint, to see if he is aware of this and if he can perform similar surgery on my lens.</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Yes, this lens is a good one...have shot a few not-so-photogenic-items just for basic function testing but I'll get around to some worthwhile subjects with it before long. Then I shot a video with it of a lone wild turkey walking through the woods while I was out deer hunting last week.<br>

First serious video attempt on the NEX-7 and was very pleased at how well it turned out, not only the video function of the NEX-7 but how well this lens did...very good IQ. As an aside I did realize I actually need to use a longer lens for wildlife in large woods settings but in terms of pure testing, this 28-85 did a great job and will be very well suited for closer situations. (Currently have my FD 50-135 mounted for the next trip)</p>