Nikon 18-200 VR

sam_ginger

<p>They are identical in optical formula. The newer one has the zoom lock and Nikon claims it's less prone to zoom creep, although, as you can see, it still creeps.</p>

<p>For what it's worth, I had the original one for about 3 or 4 years, and it had zoom creep for sure, but when I set it all the way to 18 it almost never crept down on me.</p>

<p>It's not a very good lens on current sensors at 200mm.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The 18-200 is either loved or hated by its owners. There is no in between.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ha! That's funny.</p>

<p>I own a version 1, and I love it. Great lens, and my copy at least is very, very good at all focal lengths.</p>

<p>Paired with my D200, it's an almost unbeatable go-outside-and-take-a-walk-with-the-kids setup.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Newer one has a slightly upgraded vr function - adding about 1 stop of performance to it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No, it is not. Both versions of the lens have Ver. II of VR. The performance is identical.</p>

<p>Great travel lens, but too soft at the long end for many (most?) of us who are at 12MP or more. On my D50 it was a great travel solution, but when I upgraded to my D90, I swapped my 18-200 out for a combo of the 18-70 (which is identical in performance in its range to the 18-200) and the 70-300 VR (which blows away the 18-200 in the range they share and is far more usable at 300 than the 18-200 was at 200).</p>

<p>It was a good idea in its day. That day is not today.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I just bought one with zoom lock, and after fine tuning for back focusing it is sharp. Sharper than my 18-105 VR, or 70-300 VR. A friend loaned me his for our trip to Kauai. I took some images with his, also a zoom lock VR ll, and when my wife saw some pictures I had taken with it, she told me to go buy one, which I did. It is now on my D7000, and I am an hour away from a private 'doors off' helicopter flight with my wife.<br>

Aloha</p>