Nikon 18-55mmVR and Tamron 70-300mm VC

k_p14

<p>Hi,<br>

I have Nikon D5100 and Nikkor DX 18-55mm VR kit lens. And, I plan to purchase Tamron 70-300mm VC lens. Since Tamron is FX lens, the actual range is 109-465mm. With these two lenses, I'm gonna miss 55-109mm range. Do I miss a lot by missing that range? I don't wanna get 55-300mm lens. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Since Tamron is FX lens, the actual range is 109-465mm. With these two lenses, I'm gonna miss 55-109mm range.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Focal length is a physical characteristic of the lens, and that does not depend on whether you mount the lens on an FX body or DX body (or some other body, such as Micro 4/3). A lens is "an FX lens" merely means it has a larger image circle than a DX lens.</p>

<p>Therefore, your gap is still between 55mm and 70mm; in other words, that gap is not very big.</p>

<p>Couple of points here. Nikon DX are 1.5 cropped so your kit lens is equivalent to a 27 - 82mm lens on a 35mm camera. The Nikon 70 - 300mm lens that you are looking at buying is equivalent to a 105 - 450mm lens.</p>

<p>So you will be missing 55 - 70mm on your DX camera or the equivalent of 82mm - 105mm on a 35mm camera. Only you can decide if this is going to be an issue or not. </p>

<p>KP, all this is very simply solved by stop making any calculation from "DX focal length" to "FX focal length" - it's never necessary (as Shun said: focal length is focal length, regardless of the camera used); and since you're not using a FX camera, the "equivalent field of view" on a FX camera is pretty useless information. Just watch through the viewfinder and see what it looks like.<br>

The whole "equivalence" stuff creates more headaches than it solved.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I don't think the "equivalence stuff" is meaningless when comparing a telephoto lens. The crop factor of a DX lens with a telephoto is really quite an important consideration for carrying a camera around in the field. <br>

<br />I have a Tamron 70-300mm lens that I purchased this spring from a local dealer for the munificent price of $390.00 (after rebate) to use with my Nikon D7000. Having a relatively inexpensive and compact DX lens with an equivalent range to a 105-450mm FX lens is very nice. <br>

I certainly could not justify the expense of a Nikkor 80-400mm zoom lens or an FX camera, even if others do.</p>

<p>Jim<br>

<br /><br /></p>

</blockquote>