quantum flash for 645

mike_kearney

I have a Mamiya 645 pro (no TTL) and have been using a nikon sb-28

borrowed from my F100 in Auto mode for mostly outdoor fill flash,

with some indoor event photo shoots on the horizon. My question: Is

getting the Quantum T2 flash overkill if I can't use it in TTL

mode? I shoot B/W mostly and develop the prints myself in the old

fashion darkroom. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

I don't think the T2 is an overkill, I used to own a Mamiya Pro TL, I used the T2 in TTL mode, sometimes in auto mode (with T2's sensor) and sometimes in full manual mode. To me it's still a great flash no matter what mode you use it in. What I like most about it is power, parabolic reflector, ability to use it bare-bulb, also works fine with a small softbox or umbrella with the T2 mounted on a light stand.

The Sunpak 120 J could be another less expensive consideration. It

features bare bulb, etc. etc. and puts out just a lick less light than the

Quantum. The advantage IMO is that the Sunpak can either be self

contained using common AA batteries, or run off the rechargable NiCad

on your hip. It can either be A or TTL (I imagine there is a Mamiya

TTL module for it, but check first). One of the most underrated flashes

for the money out there IMO.

I just purchsed a 645 Pro TL and a used quantum T2 with ttl module. I love it. I am planning on doing wedding photography in the future with this setup.

I have started assisting a professional wedding photographer (who owns at least one of everything. Kinda like Marc (-: ) who uses the quantum X2 with his Mamiya 6. He uses the qflash on auto. He doesn't like/trust ttl flash.

I used my setup to shoot the dress rehearsal for the local high school fall play. I used both ttl and auto flash. I couldn't tell the difference ( set the T2 to underexpose 1/2 stop.) I should have saved the $170 and not purchsed the ttl module.

Auto mode on the t2 is great. Also, auto mode has the advantage of being more consistent if you change cameras.

Marc recommended the sunpak 120j. Based on his posted images, his advice is well worth considering.

Good luck.

-Doug

<I just purchsed a 645 Pro TL and a used quantum T2 with ttl module. I love it. I am planning on doing wedding photography in the future with this setup>

How do you handle vertical shots? One reason I got rid of my 645 Pro TL and moved to 6X6 is I couldn't get comfortable turning the camera on its side for verticals especially when used with the T2 mounted. I tried various camera rotating or flash rotating brackets but to me were not solid or stable.

I noticed that Mamiya has a new camera rotating bracket but never had to chance to give it a try since I had gotten rid of the 645 before that bracket came out.

Thanks for all the great comments. Looks like the T2 is the way to go but I'll check on the 120J. I had defective Sunpak a few years ago but I'll take another look before leaping into the Quantum. I use the Stroboframe Press-T for my current flash. Not perfect but it gets the job done.