Leica's next camera, 11th June announcement

<p>Leica is releasing a new camera on 11th June, positioned between the X2 (fixed 24/2.8, 24x16mm sensor) and the M. The two most plausible specifications are either a 16x24mm or 24x36mm sensor with an M mount and no optical finder. It would be rather boring if it was a fixed lens camera, no matter what the sensor. But who knows, we might be pleasantly surprised.</p>

<p>http://en.leica-camera.com/news/new_products/Mini%20M/</p>

<p>My bet is a RX1 type, but interchangeable lens. This will get Leica more share of the marketing, on the same token more sale of lenses. It's a win-win game for Leica. Also keep in mind the new one is called "Mini M", not super "X". My 2 cents.</p>

<p>I think RX-1 type, without M mount though. I expect a classy 35mm (possibly a summicron) fixed lens, and a full frame sensor.<br />Mini-M doesn't say anything, because in the same banner, X2 appears as Micro-M and the lumix as Nano-M.<br>

One thing is for sure, if it's an M mount camera, it's going to take a piece of M240's market share, and I think they wouldn't like this at Leica.</p>

There are three variables as I see it.

(1) OVF/rangefinder vs. EVF/view camera

(2) Full Frame vs. APS-C (or somewhere in between)

(3) Interchangeable Lens vs. Fixed Lens

If I were to guess, I pick EVF + APS-C + Interchangeable Lens.

Rangefinder makes Leica M unique. I highly doubt that they would bring the rangefinder to a different product line, given

that M in Leica M stands for Meßsucher. There are only three combinations left, FF + Fixed Lens, APS-C +

Interchangeable lens, and FF + interchangeable lens. The first one probably does not have large enough market. The third one is too similar to Leica M. Hence I suspect the second one is most likely to be their choice, directly competing against Fuji and Sony.

<p>I think EVF + FF + M-mount would be interesting - it would be distinguished from the M by not having a rangefinder, and could be quite a bit smaller.</p>

<p>The 240's sensor isn't that great for live view though, so I don't think it would use that. Maybe some other FF sensor though, a Sony one?</p>

<p>FWIW, and probably nothing, I don't think a zoom lens would fit in that box in the ad from what i can see. For Leica's sake I hope it has interchangeable lenses and an M adapter.... otherwise it's a dud for deep pocketed collectors.</p>

I know this is hard for Leica, they seem to have difficulty building a great NEW camera because they're terrified of

damaging their M brand. Plus adding in the features Sony has pioneered in the Nex line would make it a very different

camera. My wish would be:

Like the X2 but with an integral EVF, interchangeable lenses with adapters for at least Leica M and a full frame sensor for

under $3000. Probably impossible.

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Well, they announced it. Looks huge, and the lens is slow. At least they're not Hasselblad, but I can't see them losing many M sales unless that's a <i>really</i> good zoom. (I don't see Fuji, Nikon or Sony quaking just yet either.) Easy to criticize, I know, but it does seem like a bit of an odd device.</p>