Do you use your flash while traveling?

allan_martin

<blockquote>

<p>I wonder when the day will come that built-in flashes become a thing of the past.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /> Unless you're creating catch lights in the eyes in an editing program, there is never going to be a day when high ISO does it all. And how do you use high ISO to capture the ambient scene behind the subject and a well-lit subject? High ISO does that?</p>

Like many above, I try and shoot most of my photos with natural light, even indoors, I prefer tripods over a flash whenever

possible, however there are times when a flash is truly indispensable.

Examples

Late night shots of people

Flickr Search

Daytime shots of people where fill light is needed

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52027561@N00/7592382254

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52027561@N00/7592387756

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I don't bring a flash along when I'm traveling for photography. Since I am not forced to choose any particular subject when I'm traveling, I will simply choose to photograph subjects that are in good light without myself having to bring it with me. The available light is a part of the character of that location. Even mid day light is rarely an issue nowadays with the vastly increased dynamic range of the best sensors. There is shadow detail and tonal variation and it looks good, if you shoot from the right direction. By introducing direct flash the tonal variation would disappear in the shadows, which makes a nice 3D looking image (the brain interprets tonal variation as cues for the 3D shape of the subject) into a flat xerox copy machine 2D look it's as if the subject were not a real person but a cardboard mockery of a person. That's what direct flash from the camera direction does. It also enhances the visibility of skin blemishes and wrinkles, since the local tonal variation due to lighting is taken out, the human brain sees the dimples, wrinkles etc. as much more prominent part of that person's face than they were if natural gradation of light and shadow were left to shape the subject's appearance in the photo.</p>

<p>I do use flash in the studio, and indoors when I need it, especially with white walled modern (office and home) interiors. But when I travel, I usually go to places where there are medieval buildings and those usually have colored and sometimes dark walls and ceilings, and I can't bounce from those, and I don't want to bring stands and big modifiers with me on travels either, so I use available light and choose my subjects and time of shooting so that it looks good in the existing light. </p>

<p>I have to agree with the folks who bring the flash. I am frugal, and every day and hour spent on a trip costs me money. I wince when people throw out all the hours in the middle of the day. <br>

As a studio photographer, I have learned to use flash, and it is not that hard for everyone to learn a few techniques for using it in otherwise difficult photographic situations.<br>

If you are not comfortable with strobes, take a walk every day and stop in places where you were passing up shots before. Learn when the flash can save you, and you will always have it in your arsenal.<br>

As with any photography, the process comes down to problem solving. You can use your time either finding the perfect available light or making appealing light. It's a personal cost/benefit equation, but for me, always being able to get the shot, whether with natural or created light, trumps all.</p>

<p>There are a raft of opportunities available to extend your Photographic Experiences when you are travelling – oft - just the fact one is travelling creates the enthusiasm or reduces the anxiety to get out and have a go at projects which one might never consider in the daily activity “at home”. . .</p>

<p>It matters not whether I or anyone else travels with a flash or not: YOU are in the process of “beginning learning” and by your own words the next item on your list is a Flash – so buy one; learn how to use it and take it with you – it will be no hardship to carry around.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>To answer your question specifically – sometimes I do take a flash with me when I travel for pleasure: and if I do, I take a little one. </p>