one light or 2 lights?

owenzhang

<p>Judging by the shadows, I'd say one round light in each of the images. A beauty dish for the first (strong, hard-edged shadows) and maybe an octa or Softliter-type of diffused umbrella for the second to get the soft edges and smooth transition from highlight to shadow. If you look at the shadow under her nose, you'll see that the light is in the same position in both -- above the camera and on-axis. Also, there's some very professional makeup and retouching on these images.</p>

<p>Nose shadow, classic butterfly, a tad large on both for me, tells the position. I agree with Peter re beauty dish on first, back a bit, say 4 to 6 feet to harden the shadow edge transition. I'd go with a small beauty dish in tighter, say at a 2-3 feet, due to the cheek shadows on the second. I think I would expect more light wrapping onto cheeks from a larger modifier. Looks like a second set of low catch lights on the second shot, perhaps a small reflector or strobe? Good makeup work really helps too as well as young skin or good retouching. Nice images. </p>

<p>Only one ligght, at 6, high, maybe a beautydish or a little umbrella near the head.</p>

<p>in the firs photo, see there is no dark lines in the cheek bones neither in the nose, so there is no two lights crossing on the head. See the way the side of the face is shadowed. If there is two lights one is frontal and soft, maybe a reflector, but I would light this set with only one beauty dish, high, at 6, and close to the forehead.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The second one is most likley a beauty dish. Look at the perfectly round catch light with the small dark spot in middle of the roundness in the eyes. Its not an octa. If there was a small reflector it was on the ground or possibly the subject was standing or sitting on a chair on a white drop on the floor. There is a small amount of light around the nostril area giving me the thought that something pushed a small amount of light back up. It was very small amount though. It doesnt show light under her chin or along the jaw line underneath. The main light appears on axis above the head about 30 degrees. There is some type of light on the backdrop. It does not appear to have been shot straight back at the subject from behind. Looks like it was shot at the drop.</p>

<p>I am not just guessing what was used. I recognize lighting because I light the same way. You are welcome to veiw my work at http://www.michaelmowery.com What is important is not exactly what light source was used but rather the first shot was lit with one light with no reflector and the second one was lit with one light with a reflector which you can see in the lower section of the pupils. </p>