Long exposure using Mamiya rz67 and electronic cable release?

rajdeep_rai

<p>I am a digital SLR user but recently I bought a Mamiya zr67 as I have developed an interest in medium format film photography. Since I am into long exposures (5-10 mins) I bought an electronic release cable for it online. So foolish of me as I should have read the camera manual first. As in digital SLR I though I'll set the camera shutter to bulb and fire it using electronic cable release. But to my surprise in this camera for exposures more than a minute you need to go for time 'T' exposure mode. Will this electronic cable release work in T exposure mode? If not how to proceed with exposures more than a minute without shaking the camera. Sliding the T lever will definitely shake the camera.... wouldn't it?</p>

<p>Rajdeep,<br>

I ran into the same wall when I was trying out long exposures on my RZ67 Pro II with a manual cable release. I found issues with getting the shutter to close in the 'T' mode after completing the exposure with the release. This may be an issue with my lens.The technique I found most useful is one that I read about on a LF forum called a Hat technique. All it is is that once you think that you have completed your exposure, you put the lens cap on and then manually release the 'T' latch. This the lens cap behaves like a closed shutter preventing light from entering the camera. <br>

This technique allows you to forgo the cable release altogether by firing the shutter manually with the lens cap on in T' mode,taking the cap off, counting down your exposure and then putting the lens cap on to complete the exposure. The length of the exposure would indicate that the available light is too weak for the film to register any vibrations in the process of maneuvering the lens cap.<br>

I believe that the name 'Hat technique' comes from LF photographers of yore who would use their hat in the field to perform longer exposures in place of a lens cap.</p>

<p>Hi Suresh,<br>

Thank you so much for your response :) Just to confirm I got it right...<br />1. With the cap on I need to slide the T lever for time exposoure<br />2. Press the shutter release button<br />3. Then remove the cap<br />4. Make the required exposure<br />5. Put back the lens cap<br />6. Slide the T lever to close the shutter<br>

I hope I got it right. Thanks again!<br>

-Rajdeep</p>