Nikkor-P and Spiratone 105mm f/2.5 lenses

<p>Nice post JDM. I have an early 105/2.5 like yours, but mine had the factory AI kit installed when I got it from KEH (it was listed on the web site as "AI'd" and I expected a hack job). It's fantastically sharp. The only thing I don't like about it is that in some cases, objects just outside the plane of focus take on a weird double-refraction kind of look. See attached photo.</p><div>00bggK-539623584.jpg.def52d5d4db27acebe5b250e72eee7f4.jpg</div>

<p>I 'fess up. The "portraits" were a last minute thought as I posted and realized I hadn't tried out the lenses for their common use for portraits. I dug up the Nikkor image from an old file, since I'd already taken off the adapter. Then I took a hurried picture with the Spiratone -- clearly much too hurried-- and posted the result above.</p>

<p>Anyhow, here is the Spiratone 105mm f/2.5 lens at f/11 - from the test above by MP its best spot. On tripod with cable release.</p><div>00bgie-539655584.jpg.23b0b495aacfbb0a0f9ad669affcef3e.jpg</div>

<p>One more thing I meant to mention: The Spiratone has its aperture blades designed to yield round "bokeh' regardless of the aperture setting. The Nikkor aperture blades take on a hexagonal form, except at full aperture, of course.</p>

<p>One lens that does deserve it's reputation. Always interesting to see a comparison like this even though, as you claim, it's not a scientific test. Those scientific tests do bore the nuts off me I must admit.<br>

I also have the Sonnar and Gauss versions, but oddly enough have never tried a comparison, something for a rainy day. The only thing is that when I reach for a 105 I usually take the older Sonnar type.<br>

I've always wanted the original 105mm for the Nikon rangefinders but they are just too darn expensive these days! Does anyone know if the RF version has the round aperture blades? The simpler hexagonal blades are to cater for the automatic diaphragm operation in the reflex lenses.<br>

Keep up the good work JDM, I'm really getting to like that water tower!</p>