Canon G1x Alternative Power sources

<p>Hello all! I realize that this is not in the most appropriate catagory but I did not see a catagory for my question. The Canon G1x, is there a way to charge the batterys/camera WITHOUT the wall charger? I am getting ready to hit the road on a world wide backpacking trip and I am going to purchase this camera. Because I will be very limited on space I would love it if I could leave the bulky battery wall charger at home. Is there a way to charge the camera via USB or some other way, as in, leave the battery in the camera and plug the camera into an adaptor (USB or other) directly? Would this work? I have looked online and not found an anwser. Any help is appreciated.</p>

<p>I don't think so. As far as I know the G series Powershots (including the G12, G15 and G1x) do not recharge the battery via the USB port.</p>

<p>Charging via the USB port is something that Canon just doesn't seem to do. I've owned a bunch of Poweshot cameras and none of them could be charged via the USB port. I have Olympus and Samsung models that can, but never Canon.</p>

<p>[<em>This thread was moved from the Canon EOS forum to the confusingly named Mirrorless Digital Cameras. Though not a MILC, the G1x is still technically mirrorless....</em>]</p>

<p>Thanks! Do you know if this cameras charger/batterys can handle 220v? I really do not want to take a voltage converter, it is way too bulky/heavy for what I am doing. I actually purchased a solar panel to charge all of my electronics, but it is looking like this is not going to cut it with the solar panel.....</p>