M6 vs. M6TTL

Sanford

One could just as easily turn your statement around and say, "I like the bigger shutter dial and it finally turns the right way!"

Earlier bodies will operate the flash sync without batteries. However, I prefer the M6TTL's meter display and shutter speed selector dial even though I rarely used flash.

Godfrey

Sanford,

The TTL feature may not be important to you now, but it might be in the future. The resale value of an M6TTL will be higher in the future I think, simply because the camera is of a later vintage.

Assuming both cameras are in identical shape I'd prefer the M6TTL.

Just my two cents.

Eric

Sanford,

I concur that the TTL version of the M6 will hold a slightly higher value in the future.

Its pluses are a more sensitive meter, better VF display, TTL flash, and finally rarity compared to the M6. These outweigh the negatives of battery only flash TTL, lessor battery life, and the slightly higher body.

That said however, none of the above pluses made me get one, and I always chuckle when I see someone espouse the virtues of the bigger and "right way" shutter speed dial. ALL Leitz/Leica shutter speed dials go "around" (to the stops anyway) and it is really whether you think of using your thumb or one of your fingers as a reference point when one determines whether the dial moves in the same direction of the meter arrows.

Best,

Jerry

What's the "right" direction? If you've used Leica's prior to trying the TTL models, the shutter speed knob on the TTL turns the "wrong" way to you.

I don't use flash at all and I'm used to the way the Leica shutter speed dial turned on the models preceding the TTL. I wouldn't pay more to get something I don't need or want.

I bought my Leica M6 "Classic" just as the new TTLs were coming out. I had my choice. I didn't think I needed the new features. Leica has a lovely screensaver which I downloaded from their website. It shows various M cameras which slowly fade into another model. A black M6 fades into a black M6 TTL. When I saw it I was amazed how much larger the TTL is than the "Classic". Now I am VERY happy I have the older model.

I vote with the TTL group. <P> Resale potential down the road will make the TTL more attractive IMO. <P> Also I like the meter display better as well as the larger dial.<P> It seems like short money and given that both bodies are in comparable condition you can't make a bad decision. <P> If you buy the classic you can put the extra $60 towards a 75lux. It may cover the cost of the lens cap

"What's the "right" direction? If you've used Leica's prior to trying the TTL models, the shutter speed knob on the TTL turns the "wrong" way to you."

But with the TTL, you finally turn the aperture ring/shutter speed dial in the direction indicated by the triangular LEDs in the VF to achieve correct exposure. While that may indeed seem "wrong" to users of previous Ms, it does seem more logical, and that is perhaps a more appropriate word than "right."

In addition to that, I also like the central dot indicating correct exposure, and the larger shutter speed dial (easier for me to reach and turn without lowering the camera from my eye).

I have an early M6 and a late M6ttl. The M6ttl meter is more sensitive and has

better features than the early M6 meter. As a longtime M user and longtime

M6 user I don't care what anybody says the shutter dial on the M6ttl goes the

WRONG WAY. It's a pain. The M6ttl a tiny bit taller than the M6 and it seems

like it to me, but not a big deal. If I had to choose between the two I'd for the ttl

due to the meter sensitivity and better metering features.

In addition to the two important advantages of the TTL already mentioned (more sensitive meter, central meter diode), here are a few more:

1) More consistent shutter. I was skeptical when I read this in a review but my experience confirms that the TTL's shutter has less speed variation between shots.

2) Replacement meter circuit boards should be available longer than for the M6 Classic.

3) Shutter dial rotation the same direction as the M7, the most likely to be added at some point. Difference in rotation with earlier, non-metered M's is moot as you rarely adjust the shutter with those at eyelevel. I could never shoot a Classic and a TTL together, but the TTL or M7 and an M4 is no problem.

I have to disagree with the TTL fans here, I am not a fan of M6's and have <a href="http://greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=004LoJ"> just sold mine</a> but if there is any <u>standard</u> M6 that will be worth more in the years to come it will be the true "classic" - the original Wetzler made M6 (more so than the later Solms models). The TTL with it's battery dependant flash operation, wrong way shutter dial and larger size was a step backwards IMO.

I went from an M3 (look at light meter first, set shutter/f stop while looking down at camera) to the .85 TTL. I very much like the larger index finger operated shutter speed dial since I never "learned" M6 classic operation. Most frequent subjects for me are people in rapidly changing afternoon/evening light. From my Nikon (FM, F2AS vs. F2S) days, 3 led's are in quicker in practice, just get +&0 for print film, -&0 for slides. Other points: TTL availability is better than no TTL availability, my TTL shutter accuracy does test VERY well after a few years of use, so there might be some merit to that thought posted earlier. I now carry the .85TTL with chrome and an M4-2 with tri-x, and have no problem switching from camera to camera.

Sort of been said above, but it's mainly a case of what you like besides any M6. If you're interested in an M7, get an M6 TTL. If you're more into an M4,3,2 etc, get of course an M6 classic instead. My first M was/is an M6 TTL, and if I still ever had the chance to get a classic or a TTL immediately as my very first M, it would DEFINITELY remain the TTL.