Good Lighting Kit For Beginner

You're not going to get any kit for that price that will be worth spending money on. You spent more than that on the sb900

I'm sure. I'd look at Alien Bees and see if you can push your budget for one light and a softbox to start. I wouldn't go any

smaller than a B800 320ws light. Then build your kit from there as you can.

<p>I agree with Devon. Start with a B800 and a simple modifier or so. Even a simple umbrella. <br /><br />The good news is that you can put your SB900 in simple SU-4 slave mode, and use it as a hair light or background light, etc. <br /><br />Do NOT attempt to buy any sort of "kit" for as little as you're looking at spending. Your SB900 will run circles around anything you're going to get, kit-wise for so little. Don't do it!</p>

<p>Do you have modifiers for your SB-900? Do you have the equipment to use if off-camera? </p>

<p>if not look at the basic kit on strobist.com. If you don't already have it you can get a light stand, shoot through umbrella, swivel and sync kit for about $125.00 and do wonders with it. Really professional work. So that leaves you $125.00 more in your budget to add additional flash or modifiers in the future.</p>

<p>If you haven't see strobist.com I highly recommend you start there. It is seriously good. It will show you how to take your flash photography to the next level for not much money.</p>

<p>There is also a seminar out there done by Joe McNally through Kelby training that speaks to using strobes like yours to achieve some truly professional results. Joe is an all around nice guy and good instructor in addition to being one of NG's top shooters. By the way Jonathan take a look at his work. <a href="http://portfolio.joemcnally.com/">http://portfolio.joemcnally.com/</a>. I think it will resonate with you. <br>

I agree with Devon and Matt that there is little use in buying the cheap ebay kits. They will just frustrate you. Augmenting what you have for now for off camera (if you are not already doing that) will seriously build your skills so that when you are ready to go to something like the bees (great lights for the money) you will have a head start on how to get the most from them. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>+1 to what Rick said. A Strobist-type setup is well within your budget, and can seriously improve your results. In fact, for $250, you can probably buy a second flash (like the old Vivitar 285-HV or Sunpak 383) and very basic stands, mounting gear, sync connections, and light modifiers (probably umbrellas) for both. Go read up on this.</p>

<p>And indeed, the the big majority of the low-budget lighting kits on eBay etc. are near-junk. About the cheapest kit that I'd really want to spend my money on is one of the basic Alien Bees packages (e.g., the single-monolight Beginner Bee for $373, http://www.paulcbuff.com/pkg-beginnerbee.php).</p>

<p>Most all the inexpensive studio strobes can suffer from poor quality control and a lack of support. But I think there is one exception at that price point. </p>

<p>The (Adorama) Flashpoint strobes are well-built, sturdy, and reliable. Before getting a Profoto rig, I used a set of Flashpoints for several years on location and they stood up to heavy use. And you get support from Adorama in the US. </p>

<p>I would recommend getting things like softboxes and radio triggers from another source though.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm interested in using a lighting kit to enhance my portrait imagery</p>

<p>You're not going to get any kit for that price that will be worth spending money on.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I would try to upgrade to studio lights as soon as you can. <em>But you will need a bigger budget</em>. That said consider the used market or renting for now. For a few dollars more you can get some good deals on used studio lights.</p>

<p><strong>Professional studio lights: monolights, pack and head studio and portable battery studio light generator systems</strong><br /> <br /> <strong>Profoto</strong><br /><strong> Hensel</strong><br /><strong> Speedotron</strong><br /><strong> Broncolor</strong><br /><strong> Dynalite </strong><br /><strong> Bowens/Calumet</strong><br /><strong> Elinchrom</strong></p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I've got a couple of suggestions for what direction you can go given your budget:<br>

1. Invest in modifiers and equipment to support lighting. Don't focus on more lighting, focus on stuff to make your SB900 more versatile. Get yourself a really good reflector with a variety of surfaces/panels. Get modifiers for your SB900 (portable softbox and stand, or a honeycomb, snoot, etc.). Or maybe it's a really good stand and clamp to hold your SB900 off-camera. Or....<br>

2. Get 2 Yongnuo 460's and use them as slaves (triggered by your SB900), bounce them off of walls or ceilings, create jells or home-made scrims to modify the light and get some type of clamp or use a gorillapod to position each one. Or....<br>

3. Go real beginner lighting starter kit and look for continuous lighting.....color-balanced/daylight LCDs clustered. Or a pair of halogen lights from Home Depot (real fire hazard with the heat they put out) which will put you out about $30. And then use your SB900 to augment your continuous DIY lighting.</p>

• 4 months later...