Thinking about switching to Linhof Technika

dothesteve

<p>...and want to get some general info about cam and service availability, any possible killer quirks, advantages of later versions, etc. I've been using Graphics for years and want something with greater bellows draw and reliable rangefinder. I've heard the IV is easier to find cams for. One specific question: does the Grafmatic film holder work with Technika? </p>

<p>The IV, V and Master all use the same cams. But cams have to be cut:<br>

For a IV the cam has to be cut for both the camera and the lens and a IV cam has the serial number of the lens on the top of the cam and the serial number of the body on the bottom.<br>

A V and Master have a zeroed gg so the cam only has to be cut for the lens and the serial number of the lens is stamped on the top of the cam. The bottom of these cams has no serial number.<br>

A cam for a IV will only work properly with the lens whose serial number is stamped on it and on the body whose serial number is on the bottom of the cam. Change the lens, even though it is the same focal length, or change cameras and the lens will no longer focus accurately over its entire range.<br>

A cam for a V or Master can be used on any other V or Master as long as the lens is the one the cam was cut for. Change to another lens of the same focal length and the cameras will not focus accurately over the entire focusing range of the lens.<br>

In other words, used cams on a Linhof will not be accurate unless you have the lens (by serial number) they were cut for and if, for a IV, the body they were cut for.<br>

In the USA Linhof coupling packages (cam, cutting the cam, infinity stops and focus scale) will be done by Precision Camera - Bob Watkins - in IL starting this month.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>stephen, the linhof technika V works very well with the grafmatic. if you get some routine you can work really "fast". but be sure you get the right one. i can't recollect the difference but only one type has the right groove for the international backs.<br>

the technika is also fit to take a digital back such as hasselblad cfv's with linhofs adapter. i've done testshots using the rangefinder with cams. focus dead on!<br>

have fun!</p>