Wedding photography advice appreciated...

kathlyn_gadd

<p>I am an enthusiastic amateur photographer and I have been asked if I would take the photographs at my niece's wedding. The circumstances are very sad - her brother (my nephew - aged just 27) is dying of cancer - diagnosed late so only a few months left. She is bringing forward her wedding so that he can attend and is on a very tight budget so asked if I would take the photographs. I want to do the best I can as these photos will be very precious. I have a Canon 550D with kit zoom lenses that I know are not the best. I only have the built in flash but prefer natural light. I looked at hiring a better lens for the day (and maybe ahead of time to play with). I would really appreciate any suggestions that you can offer re planning the photographs, good shots, how to deal with guests, any equipment that it might be worth hiring etc. <br>

Thanks in advance</p>

<p>Very sad indeed. </p>

<p>Since this is the only shot to get this right - I'd strongly recommend hiring a professional to do this for them. Give it to them as a gift - also, many pros - when hearing of the circumstances probably would give a substantial discount on their services. I know from experience in this area. I did a wedding last fall for a couple in a similar circumstance. I was hired as the primary - and I posted the story on a facebook group I belong to - I had one of the top wedding photographers in the country offer to 2nd for free - ended up he was already booked that date, but had he not been - he would have been there 2nd shooting for me. </p>

<p>If getting family together and getting a pro isn't an option - then read through the wedding section of this forum - also I believe under learning - there is a section on weddings. </p>

<p>You will need at a minimum - 2 bodies, 4 batteries, 2 FAST (F2.8 or better) lenses, 2 External Flashes, Tons of Memory cards. </p>

<p>Shots - bride getting ready, groom getting ready, bride and groom, wedding party, bride and groom with guests, bride and groom with family, Bride's family, Groom's family, groom during ceremony, bride during ceremony, guests during ceremony... Or right around 200-300 keepers. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Lots of books and online courses available on suggested shots. For equipment if you don't want to use flash then you need fast glass, obviously. If you can afford to buy get the 50 f1.8 and 85 f1.8. Both are very good lenses for their price. Fast wide angles are more expensive and can usually be rented. Same with fast zooms such as the 70-200 f2.8 and 24-70 f2.8.</p>

<p>Kathlynn,</p>

<p>Sorry about your nephew's situation and it's lovely of your niece to move her wedding. </p>

<p>I wrote a short piece for TechHive (an online extension of Macworld) on the subject that'll give you a quick overview:<br>

<a href="http://www.techhive.com/article/1167832/get_started_with_wedding_photography.html">http://www.techhive.com/article/1167832/get_started_with_wedding_photography.html</a></p>

<p>Perhaps after flipping through that piece you'll be in a better position to look at some of the info on photo.net and the Web generally that's addressed to first-time wedding shooters.<br>

•</p>

<p>At the risk of repeating some things I say in the piece I link to above, let me add a few more notes. </p>

<p>I agree with David H's advice that you hire a pro if you can. This is <em>much</em> harder than it looks and you don't get a do-over.</p>

<p>If that's out of the question, then David's equipment suggestions are absolutely solid. <em>But</em> I would make an exception in your case and say, if you don't already have all that equipment, and assuming you're not trying to build a wedding practice beyond your niece's wedding, then use what you've got. <br>

• </p>

<p><strong>Two cameras?</strong><br>

I always shoot with two cameras, mostly so I can have two different, high-quality lenses by my side, and partly so if one camera malfunctions, I don't have to run to my car to get my backup. But shooting effectively with two cameras takes practice and skill that most photographers these days don't have, plus, you're carrying a lot of stuff around. I've been meaning to ask some of my wonderful female wedding photographer friends if they shoot with two bodies; might be more of a guy thing.</p>

<p>Anyway, overwhelming odds are, your camera will NOT malfunction. And shooting with one camera and one lens will be easier for you and will allow you to focus on the composition of your photos, which is far and away the most important thing. You're going to be trying to take good snapshots, that is, just good, basic photos. I actually would NOT advise you to start reading books on wedding photography, lighting, etc., because you simply don't have time to digest all that info. </p>

<p>•</p>

<p><strong>Lens(es)</strong><br>

I'm not sure what kit lenses you have, but they're probably <em>okay.</em> Pros generally use only very expensive, high-quality lenses with f2.8 or better max apertures, like David H suggests. But you're not a pro and you can't become one by buying equipment. If you had a budget to spend a little money, getting a 50mm f/1.4 prime lens might be a big help at the church, since you'll probably not be able to use flash, and your 550 is okay but not a super-performer at high ISO. And a 50 f/1.4 is a nice lens for anybody, amateur or pro, to have in their kit.</p>

<p>But I wouldn't recommend spending more money on lenses — not even renting. Lenses aren't magic. It takes knowledge and practice to use them effectively. You could spend a couple hundred dollars to rent a top-quality 70-200 f2.8 lens and still get lousy photos, in fact, the weight of the lens might be a problem for you itself. </p>

<p>•</p>

<p><strong>Flash</strong><br>

I do strongly suggest that you purchase, rent or borrow a proper hot-shoe flash for your camera. If you have hundreds of dollars to spend, by all means, get a Canon flash or at least a Sigma. But you don't have to spend hundreds of dollars. I've never used any of these flashes, but there are pretty well-rated and very affordable flashes for Canon cameras available on Amazon, for example, this $40 flash from Neewer, which has hundreds of customer ratings and an average 4.5:<br>

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-TT560-Speedlite-Digital-Cameras/dp/B004LEAYXY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370192554&sr=8-1&keywords=flash+for+canon">Neewer TT560 Speedlite</a></p>

<p>This will help you more than any other simple purchase you can make. Light is more important than anything else, and the easiest way to improve your light is stick a flash on your camera. It's all very well to think that you "prefer" natural light, but the truth is, getting really good pictures at a wedding without the help of flash requires <em>extraordinary mastery. </em> </p>

<p>Now, using a flash <em>also</em> requires skill. Order the flash immediately and as soon as it arrives, start practicing. Learn you to put your flash into TTL mode. You might also want to get a basic flash modifier like this Lumiquest Ultrabounce (which I use):<br>

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007S02GQQ/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1">LumiQuest UltraBounce with UltraStrap LQ-116S</a></p>

<p>Practice!</p>

<p>• </p>

<p><strong>Keep it simple</strong><br>

And when the day comes, the key thing is, keep it simple, go slow, and think about what you're doing. Getting good photos means <em>looking, </em>seeing what's in front of you, noticing people's expressions, moods, postures, etc. If you're confused about your equipment, well, you won't be able to do a good job. This is why it's not uncommon for complete amateur guests to get better photos than rookie "pros": The guest leaves the camera on P and doesn't think about the camera at all, where rookie pros are trying to do fancy stuff they've read about (shooting in A and constantly adjusting the aperture, dragging the shutter, bouncing the flash, getting flash off the camera, selective focusing, etc) and they trip themselves up. Keep it simple!</p>

<p>The final tip I have is personal. If you're there as The Photographer, then you pretty much <em>can't</em> be there as The Aunt or A Guest. You're there to work. As much as you can, be invisible except when you have to be assertive, be objective. That's a sacrifice you <em>have</em> to make.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>Will</p>

Many thanks for all your replies. I tried your advice David but it seems its a very

popular time for weddings - so far everyone I have spoken to is already

committed for that day. I will keep trying and in the meantime follow the advice

above. I will invest in a decent flash - and maybe a diffuser? Also look at a fast

50mm for inside the church. I have always taken film photos in the past (35mm

and medium format) so other than point and shoot the 550D was my first venture

into digital and I am still learning.

I normally don't suggest this, however I'd really like to see you take candad's only. By the time you rent, buy gear, buy books on weddings and practice you may be best hiring someone, because the cost "Could," run you about the same.

Why you may ask...Hire a good pro in your area and pay him/her some money every month. Remember what I'm saying. You may be a fantastic wedding photographer yet you may not be one. It doesn't matter.

The reason for hiring a pro is you will be able to take part in this last event. You should be part of this; be part of the wedding as a guest and as a family member. A close family member. Yet take wonderful photos, happy moments, moments to remember.

I'm sure you can take some photos of assorted family, his bests friends, however think about how you may not be in some of these very emotional photos.

It is my guess that you could find a very seasoned pro that may be open that day and you could get him/her to photograph this wedding for 500 dollars. These good photographers I'm referring to are suffering. Some have been in this business for over 20 years. I'm one of them and I would try to help you out. Thankfully we aren't suffering.

If you collected $5 from every guest I would think this would just about cover a request for a good photographer. A Master photographer.

My best wishes and deepest thoughts to you and your family.

Email me if you are in the southern California area and I will make sure you get the best.

<p>Kathlyn - </p>

<p>Where and when is the wedding? Send me a message - either via e-mail, photo-net messaging or Facebook (I'm not tough to find - and this is my real name.) </p>

<p>I have contacts all over the U.S. - and I'm sure we can find a photographer who isn't booked that date. </p>

<p>Bob offers wonderful advice - you should be a guest at your niece's wedding and what may be your nephew's last event. </p>

<p>The client from the wedding I mentioned above contacted me a little after her husband had passed. She mentioned that they were considering having a family member do to the photos because the money was tight - with him being a stage 4 cancer patient and all. But at the end of the day, I gave them a deal, and they got pro photos, and the family was able to celebrate not only his wedding, but his life. </p>

<p>Get me the information - I'll see what I can do. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

Sorry I am only just replying but I have been away for a couple of days without

internet. I nearly cried when I read your lovely messages - I was so touched by

your kindness. Unfortunately, we are in the UK so a little too far away - but I

want to thank you on behalf of Simon, Rachel and all the family.

<p>Kathlyn, I think there is a general presumption here that posters are in the US, despite this being a global forum. I am based in the UK with contacts in the wedding sector and I may be able to point you in the right direction. Feel free to get in touch: linds.dobson@virgin.net <br>

01903 741691</p>

<p>Unfortunately, the worst outcome happened. Someone approached us offering to take the wedding photographs. My niece was thrilled - she had not thought of Bob's point that if I was taking the photos I couldn't be in them. Then the photographer pulled out as he didn't realise it was the bride's brother who was terminally ill - and other photographers on the forum had suggested that it may be a scam so I could steal his photos!!! </p>

<p>Oh my goodness - I am so sorry... hopefully it wasn't one of the one's I referred to you. <br>

I'm sending you a PM with a couple of names - google and contact them - I believe both are booked on 8/17 - but reach out to them, they are highly reputable people and if they suggest you are trying to steal their photos - I'll have a few words for them. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Speaking of "having words" with photographers, funnily enough I have just done precisely that. Kathie is now aware of the wording of the discussion on the wedding photography forum she is referring to and it will now be clear to her that none of the participants suggested she had any intent to illegally harvest photographs for herself (though one participant suggested exercising general caution, probably due to a mixup over the date). The notion of 'scamming' was put to her by the photographer who pulled out - his own invention I suspect. I have politely suggested he develop some reading skills. </p>

<p>Yes, Lindsay - I must admit - I contributed some to the confusion over dates - since it was originally sent to me in a PM as just the 17th. I assumed, a bad thing, I know, that it was the 17th of June, as that is the month we are in and typically when I give a date without a month, it means the current month. </p>

<p>Glad you were able to help. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Ah, that explains the date query - no worries David, thanks for clearing it up. Have to admit I'm angry at the behaviour of the photographer who pulled out, he's blaming other photographers for feeding him misleading information about the participants and for telling him this is a scam - seemingly without any evidence. Or perhaps he suddenly gained a lucrative wedding for that date, and needed an exit visa. Either way his communication was less than professional. </p>

Dang Kathlyn, can people ever be that careless in thought.

I strongly believe you will get a great photographer.

My thoughts and good wishes will be with you. Perhaps I should include others. Our thoughts and wishes will be with you.

Please keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...