Best medium zoom lens for Minolta X-700

r d singh

<P>Minolta sold a number of zooms in the MD fitting, some Minolta-made, some re-badged Tokinas or Cosinas. They are all good, so it depends what focal length range you want to cover. I know of the 24-35, 24-50, 28-70 (Cosina), 28-85 (Tokina), 35-70, 35-105(Tokina), 35-135 (Tokina), 70-210, 70-300 (Cosina), 75-150, 75-200, 100-200, 100-300 (Tokina), 100-500.</P><P>The best by reputation is the 70-210mm f4, which Leica borrowed to use on their R-series SLRs.</P><P>Prices on most of these (except the rarest) are good enough that you don't need to look at third-party offerings.</P>

You didn't say what focal length range you want. I would guess, from what you shoot, that you'd want a fast lens that went from moderate wide angle to moderate tele. I think the best you can do is the Vivitar Series-1 35-85mm f2.8 Varifocal lens. It's a varifocal, rather than a true zoom, which means that the focusing distance is not constant, except at infinity, as you change focal lengths. But because of this compromise, it is a fast lens with very low distortion

I'll offer you this...stay away from older Tokina zooms. I had a Tokina 28-70 that was also labeled RMC. The bokeh looks like fruity pebbles.

The Minolta zooms were all very good in the medium range. The most readily available one is the 35-70.

The Tokina RMC lenses were their economy line. They also made a series labelled AT-X which was of a much higher standard. The Minolta zooms which they made would have been built to this standard or better. So don't worry about this comment about Tokinas, if you're thinking of buying a Minolta zoom.