Any experience with refurbished Canons?

chrsgrhm

<p>Here's what the lady from Canon said to me about warranties: "Please note that the refurbished products include a one year warranty from the date of shipment on the Canon Direct website. At the present time Canon does not carry extended warranties for new or refurbished digital camera or camcorder products."<br>

<br />She didn't say anything about "limited." Hmm.</p>

<p>I've had my refurbished 5D mkII for over a year now, it's holding up very well. Not a hitch other than the usual dust on my focusing screen.<br>

I paid $1,450 for mine through Canon's own refurb factory using the "broken point and shoot trade-in" loyalty program discount =). The body had 60 clicks on it already, pretty typical of Canon Factory refurbs, from what I hear.</p>

<p>Add to the positives on Canon refurbs. Here in the UK, canon have had an 'outlet' store on eBay for quite a while now. I remember when they first started, and as we were talking some serious money for some items (but at a hefty discount - especially early on), had quite a few of us 'in a spin' until we were able to verify that they were indeed acting for Canon.<br>

Don't know if the sales laws are different in the states, but here you can't sell something as new even if the box has been opened & returned without being used - so items can end up on the outlet store just for that (seal broken). Other items may have had a fault 'D.O.A', been fixed, and then put up there. Other gear may have had light use, but has been polished up etc..<br>

Over the years, have bought a couple of DSLR's (inc my first - a 10D), a couple of lenses, probably 6 or 7 digital compacts (some for family), & a couple of 'bridge' cameras (do you still call them that? - like my G9).<br /><br />No problems so far. They sell printers via the same shop too (bought one recently) - oh, a scanner too - still using both. (hope I haven't just 'hexed' half of my kit!).<br /><br /><br />Overall, they must be coming up to 10 years now. <em>N</em><em>o, I don't work for them either!</em> :D<br /><br />Genuinely, I think it's worth the saving. To date, maybe a couple of the compacts have had a slight mark. Sometimes the boxes have been bashed about a bit - or they've not had the original at all & been brown or white-boxed. But mostly, indistinguishable from new, and would have no hesitation in buying from them again.<br /><br />As said tho' - check the 'route' out from Canon to the actual vendor. There were a bunch of us back in 2004 (or whenever it was)*, and initially they seemed a little to good to be true (feedback was manufactured at first - turned out they were giving their automatic software a 'dry run' - nothing more). In their particular case, all gear has had a year's manufacturers warranty.<br /><br />But I imagine that doesn't go for all vendors claiming that they are selling Canon 'refurbished' - bottom line was - we checked with Canon. Best of luck!<br /><br />*(just looked - they opened Dec '03).</p>