Nikkor AF-S 1.8G on Nikon 1 camera?

<p>I recently bought a Nikon 1 V1 camera and I am now exploring non-CX lens options. I prefer using fixed focal length lenses (prime lenses) and I am thinking about getting a Nikkor AF-S 1.8G. With the 1's crop factor this would give me the equivalent of a 135 mm focal length - good for portrait images. I read on another site that not all Nikkor lenses are suitable to use with the 1 series cameras. They said that the images produced by lenses made for FX cameras may not be as sharp when used on a 1 series camera.<br>

Has anyone tried using AF-S lenses on 1 series cameras and what were the images like? Thanks! </p>

<p>Here are some recent with the Nikon 70-300 AFS VR on the V1, mostly f/5.6-f/8, Auto ISO.<br /> <a href="https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/102373880650694708825/albums/5900256236924905825?sqi=110452045154764908444&sqsi=d78a4f34-6410-449d-ba00-a50b6518cdd5">https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/102373880650694708825/albums/5900256236924905825?sqi=110452045154764908444&sqsi=d78a4f34-6410-449d-ba00-a50b6518cdd5</a><br /> With the FT-1 you can mount any Nikon lens. AFS lenses will function fully, including AF-C with recent firmware updates. AF/AFD will work the auto exposures, but no AF. AI/AIS will be complete manual exposure.</p>

<p>Nikon's compatibility list, scroll down for exposure and focus chart:<br>

<a href="http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil/accessories/mount_adapter_ft1/compatibility.htm">http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil/accessories/mount_adapter_ft1/compatibility.htm</a><br>

Note that the specific lenses are those in current production. Other similar lenses will work as well.</p>

<p>Andrew, I've tried several Nikkor-lenses with the V1+FT1-combo. I don't own the AF-S 50/1.8G, but tried the AF-S 50/1.4G, the AF-S 85/1.8G and a lot of other AF- and MF-Nikkor's. Most don't perform really well at wider apertures, this includes the lenses mentioned above. The CX-sensor amplifies the optic's shortcomings like longitudinal CA's. That's a pity, cause the V1 in electronic-shutter-mode is completely silent and would make a nice camera for readings, classical concerts and other noise-sensitive events.<br>

The mighty AF-S 200/2 works really well with the tiny CX-sensor. Another lens that is great on the V1 is the Apo-Telyt-R 180/3.4.</p>

<p>Tony, thank you for the images you posted. You must have a steady hand, they look surprisingly good for hand held shots. It is good to see what the little camera can do.<br>

Geog, thank you for your insights ... I had no idea that modern lenses suffered from chromatic aberration. As you say, stopping down makes a difference ... good to know. I usually shoot in B&W, will chromatic aberration result in a slightly out of focus image with B&W?</p>

<p>Andrew, almost every modern lens suffers from chromatic aberrations. The longitudinal CA's seem to be more visible/disturbing when a high pixel-density sensor is used. <br>

CA's wont soften your B&W-shots all that much in my opinion. For portrait-work I prefer fast primes on a FX-Body, there's a lot of difference between a fast 50mm on a V1 and a real 135mm on a D700, even if the angle-of-view and working-distance is similar.<br>

Sorry for my English, Georg.</p>

<p>Georg, thank you for your post. I now understand what the problem is. The Nikon 1 V1 is my first serious digital camera (with interchangeable lenses) and I still have lots to learn. I have been using 50+ year old Rollei TLRs for the last seven years (mostly Rolleicords) but now the film I preferred to use is no longer available. <br>

I am thinking of possibly getting a Leica M8 or Leica M9 in the future, do you know if the Leica lenses also have the same problem with the camera's sensor enhancing chromatic aberration? </p>

<p>Andrew, I didn't want to scare you with the CA-issue. This might be an issue for some uses and completely neglectable for other uses. It's just one problem that might go hand-in-hand with tiny sensors in general. I for my part enjoy the V1 with certain lenses (the 10mm/2.8 for instance and some long lenses) and don't like it with some modern AF-S lenses like the 85/1.8G or 50/1.4G. This and the V1's ergonomics (or lack of it) are the reasons why I prefer other cameras for portraits.<br>

Other users mighty have a completely different opinion on this.<br>

Sorry, I know nothing about the M8 or M9.<br>

Kind regards from another Rolleicord-user.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>Actually the Nikon FT-1 adapter has an aperture follower lever, so even with AI and AIS manual focus lenses, you can shoot with them in A (Aperture Priority) with ease. I have the Nikon 180mm f2.8 AIS and it performs very well on the V1 using the FT-1 adapter. </p>