SQ-A issue, please help

peter_todd4

<p>Hi. I have just acquired an SQ-A from ebay which was described as working perfectly. The problem is the shutter only seems to cock when it's set to 'c' on the mirror lock up switch and not when it's set to 'n' which would be normal shooting with the mirror down.<br>

Is this normal?<br>

What happens is that when the camera is set to 'n' on the mirror lock-up switch and with the multiple exposure switch set straight up when I wind the film advance crank it travels as normal but instead of coming to a stop it makes a loud click and keeps going round indefinitely. It does stop when in mirror lock 'c' setting and shutter fires as I have mentioned already.<br>

Please advise!<br>

Thanks in advance,<br>

Peter.</p>

<p>Do you have film in it? The SQ series normally needs the multi-exposure lever (not the MLU) horizontal to cock the shutter and dry fire without a film. There are an assortment of magical interlocks.</p>

<p>Assuming all is working, in normal operating mode it also will not fire without the darkslide out.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.dwthomas.net/dwt/pdfs/Bronica_SQ-A.pdf">Need a manual?</a></p>

<p>I've never fired a Mamiya, but virtually any medium format SLR is throwing a lot more mirror mass around than a 35mm, so I'd expect more noise, but I've no idea how the Mamiya and Bronica compare sonically. But yes, it's hard to take pictures surreptitiously with an SQ-A! 8-)</p>

<p>Fortunately most of my shooting is of inanimate objects, so they don't scare easily.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<blockquote>

<p>Can I just check with you guys... Is it by design that the mirror stays up after a shot is taken, only going back down again when the film is wound on thus cocking the shutter? That's how my SQ-A is behaving. Thanks in advance.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Alas, yes, that is the normal behavior (and I believe the norm with most medium format SLRs).</p>

<p> </p>