my Kiev 88 has a problem that I cannot explain (or solve). On

some pictures there is some light smudge on the lower left

corner. It has a flat (horizontal) or L-like shape, the color

is blue, mostly. Both backs and the body have been in repair

but the problem still remains. It happens with both backs and

both lenses, the 80 mm and the 45 mm.

<p>

Has anyone experienced the same problems? Or does anybody have

an advice what may cause this kind of smudge?

<p>

Many thanks in advance

<p>

J.

<p>

--

Jan Hungershoefer hunger@uni-paderborn.de

• 2 weeks later...

From discussions I've had here, I think I've run into the flare problem

suggested in another answer. What I see is quite different from what

you describe. Some additional information might help determine your

problem. What are the characteristics of the problem pictures - that is,

what do they have in common, if anything (subjects, lighting conditions,

a particular film type or speed)?

Any chance this could be light leak on the edge of the film after

exposure?

I haven't seen anything quite like what you describe with my Kiev 88.

Regards,

Brad

• 1 month later...

I ahave two Kiev 88C bodies and several lenses and film backs and the

only time I have ever seen anything remotely like what was described

was when I accidentally pulled the darkslide out on a film back that

had film in it. Otherwise, my Kievs perform perfectly. I have cloth shutters in both camera bodies.

thanks, good luck, Tom

• 2 months later...

Jan,

<p>

Have you had a satisfactory answer to this question, or has the problem been solved? I recently bought a Kiev 88 and am having an identical problem. It happens with both film backs and is more likely when I don't use the lens hood. It tends to happen in bright light. I feel quite certain that it must be a reflection off of the shutter, since mine is still metal. But i am intrigued that yours is cloth and that the problem persists.

<p>

If anyone has a thought, I'd love to hear it.

<p>

Thanks,

Simon

• 1 month later...

The problem is flare off the inside of the body. Even though it's

painted black, it can still flare. D.L. Feinberg (I think) has a

web page up on eliminating flare in the Kiev 88. From what I've seen,

he's been very successful.

<p>

His solution is to repaint the inside of the camera. An alternative

I've seen is to use self-adhesive black-flocked paper that is cut

specifically to fit the various interior parts.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any experience with the Kiev 88, but I've just purchased an old Hasselblad 500C/M outfit. I've had a similar experience with what was described, only I was using B&W film. The cause of the light smudges was light leaking thru the dark slide slot on the film magazine. I understand that the Kiev 88 is a Russian copy of the Hasselblad 500 series and I could imagine that the Kiev film magazines are built the same way. Take the magazine and hold it to a light and try to look for the light thru the slot. If you see light, that's what's causing your problem! Because of the age of my Hassy, the foam and light seals had deteriorated. I took the magazine to the local Hassy fix-it shop and they re-sealed the slot for $25. Now it works fine!

I hope you didn't go ahead and paint the interior because this is highly unnecessary.

<p>

*Ken*

• 2 weeks later...

Ken,

Thanks for the answer. I am having the problem you describe. After some testing, which included black tape around the seals of the film back, I determined that problem was a light leak, although not just from the dark slide area (unfortunately).

<p>

Apprecitate the comments.

Simon

• 4 months later...

Hello,

<p>

thanks to everybody who submitted a contribution to this thread. Meanwhile I found the reason for the light smudge on my photos. There is a leak between the body and the backs. Since body and backs have been in repair several times and the problem still exists I help myself with a strip of dark rubber tape covering the slot between body and back. This solutions is not very comfortable when changing backs frequently but cheap and simple.

<p>

Thanks for you help,

<p>

Jan Hungershvfer

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hello, the truth is that i don't have a Kiev 88 or similar, just a Rolleicord IV and a few Nikon 35 mm, but I think through the experience I have repairing cameras, that the best thing to do is to put some of the felt brought in the film chassis, between the film magazine and the body.

I had the same problem with my Nokkormat and solved it like that.

The union of the magazine and the body. And cover whit tape the holes at the back of the magazine.

EZEQUIEL ESCALANTE> ezesca@hotmail.com

• 1 month later...
The Kiev 88 (and its predessor the Salyut) are based on a Hasselblad model that predates the Hasselblad 500 series. The Hasselblad 1600 and 1000 cameras were introduced in the 1950's and were the basis for the Soviet copies. These early 'Blads and clones had focal plane shutters.

• 6 months later...

I have a Kiev 88 with several backs (8) and have had similar light leaks,

I have noted several common problems with these backs which are easy to fix.

1. Back doesn't mate to camera firmly, you can push on the back and it wigles, this will cause light to come and fog the negative. The most common problem with this is as follows; look at the botom of the back there is two small wholes with a lip that has a metal clip on it, this is where the two clips on the camera grip the lower part of the back, if the metal clip doesnt come up to the edge of the built in ridge, then the camera only grips the ridge built into the back and misses gripping the clip, this gives the back too much play, either replace the clip by a homemade one that is long enought, or add a small metal shim to make the clip come further out. After moving the clip forward you vill notice the back is firmly attached to the camera.

2. General light leaks around back cover, they put very flimsy light blocking material around the back where surfaces meet, with glue which makes is stiff, and not very capable of changing shape. You can go down to a Walmart or hobby craft store and for less that a dollar buy a sheet (8.5x11) of thin black felt with glue and paper on one side. I added this material in addition to the built in light blocking foam, even to places where they didn't have any like the hinges on the back cover. After several backs having problems with light leaks I automatically give this treatment to all new backs, before I put the first roll of film through it.

3. Light leaks by the slide slot. This problem is harder to fix, since you can't add too much baffling material. two things help in general, one take the cover on the inside of the back, (lots of little screws and springs that are easily lost so be careful) and make sure the cover plate is not bowed away from the back, making it have a gap where light can come in, if you must err, err on the side of it bulging a little bit towards the back mechanisms so its trying to close the slit. Two, there is a black plastic light trap for the slide that sometimes is folded down too flat so it allows a open gap to allow light in. What I found to work best is to cut a very thin strip of felt material (1/16 wide) and stick it underneath the light trap to put a gentle preasure on the the plastic light trap to press against the back plate, you need to be carefull because very little can be added or the slide will have difficuties going in.

I automatically do this to every back I buy, and since then I have not had a single frame fogged, even in the new backs.

Hope it helps.

Cecil Bayona