lightroom on laptop and external drive

<p>I went on a shoot out of town. I imported the images in Lightroom on my laptop. Then in the hotel room I did some edits. Then I came home and copied the folder (outside lightroom) to my external drive. Now the external drive does not have the edits I did not the laptop. Is there a way to copy these edits to the external drive, or copy the photos and edits to the external drive in one go?</p>

<p>I'll try to help, but it sounds like it's time to learn about a new feature.</p>

<p>You can't just copy files about. Lightroom keeps its editing info in files separate from the images.</p>

<p>A catalog is a composite of the images plus editing information, stored as files. You must have both parts to recreate your work, as LR does not change the original image.</p>

<p>Not too much more to say other than look on the File menu for "Export as Catalog". You will be able to select a location, wherein everything needed for your selected set of images will be written out. This complete set of information can be backed up for long term storage, or taken to another system to "Import from Catalog".</p>

<p>The catalog is created from the active collection, whatever that may be.</p>

<p>You do NOT want to go 'outside' of LR in order to move files/images around once they have been imported into LR. Because it's database oriented, you will really confuse LR if you do and you'll end up w/ what it thinks are missing images and other problems that are usually fixable but can turn into a fun-filled evening of hair pulling.</p>