Singh-Ray filters

ram_krishnan2

<p>Greetings. <br>

I trying to find the appropriate size for mounting graduated neutral density filters on my Carl Zeiss 21mm. I am interested in Singh-Ray. This lens has an 82mm filter thread!<br>

As per the info on Singh-Ray's website (http://singh-ray.com/table.html) they have 84x120mm, 100x150mm, 130x170mm, etc. Has anyone used this combo and/or can share what would be the right size that would work and prevent vignetting?<br>

I am a newly registered user. Apologies if this is not the right forum.<br>

I can't wait to use this lens to capture some beautiful light! Many thanks!</p>

<p> </p>

Call or email Singh ray they are in Arcadia Florida a bit of a trip for me.I did drive there from Tampa once VERY

friendly people.they gave me a tour of their operation and introduced me to everyone.everybody seemed happy to

work there..American made and proud of what they make.I think that they were surprised that I drove the distance

just to visit their shop.I was pretty surprised, I thought that it would be a humungus operation but it looks like a

suburban house.I like Singh ray filters along with most people.I have a polarizer warming filter and a vari neutral

density both thin mounts.need to pick up a reverse grad.you get what you pay for

<p>There are two types of filters - screw on filters mount directly to the lens. Square or rectangular filters work with special holders that you can purchase from companies such as Cokin and Lee. The holders come with adapter rings.</p>

<p>For your 21mm lens, circular screw on filters should probably be of the "thin" variety to prevent vignetting. For the square filters, I use the Lee filter system holder. You would need one of their 82mm adapter rings to mount the holder to your lens. The 82mm wide angle adapter might work, but it doesn't fit all lenses, in which case you would have to buy the regular 82mm adapter ring. For instance, my Canon TS-E24 lens requires a regular 82mm adapter even though it's a wide-angle lens. You would have to try both rings to determine compatibility.</p>

<p>The nice thing about the Lee system, which will mount 100x100 or 100x150mm Singh-Ray filters, is that it is configurable. You can reduce the holder from three slots (default) to two or even one with the screwdriver that comes with the holder. This helps prevent vignetting when working with wide angle lenses. I reduce my Lee holders to two slots for this reason.</p>

<p>Cokin has holders of different sizes. I've only used the P system, but it's smaller than the Lee holder and not configurable, but it takes up less space in your bags, and the filters will be smaller and less expensive.</p>

<p>I don't have any GND type filters yet, but I intend on getting some and when I do I will get the 4"X6" and hand hold them in front of the lens. Some pro's do that, Adam Barker for one, and there is no vignetting from a holder that way.</p>

<p>The "P" size filters fits up to 82mm lenses. The Cokin filter holder have rings available up to that size. You may however experience vignetting if the lens is a wide-angle. Your options would then be to either shorten the Cokin holder (1 slot instead of 2) or to handhold the filter in front of the lens (which I do all the time).<br>

If you still get vignetting with a shortened holder your only option is then the more expensive 4x6 filter size.</p>

<p>Actually I am more concerned about the size of the rectangular singh-ray filter that would be appropriate for a 21mm focal length lens (carl zeiss) with an 82mm filter thread. The price difference between 84x120mm and others is substantial. So I'm seeking advice on the smallest filter size that I can get away with.</p>

• 10 months later...

<p>@Dan South<br>

Hi Dan, you mentioned in your post that Canon 24mm TS-E does not fit Lee's wide angle adapter? Is that so? I was gonna buy the Lee system for my Canon 24mm TS-E until I stumbled on your post totally by chance. Could you elaborate a little as to what kind of incompatibility it is. Is it too small? Too big? The Lee CS rep specifically told me to buy the wide angle adapter for my lens. I'm a bit confused now. Thank you in advance.<br>

P.S. Sorry, everyone, for resurrecting an old thread.</p>