Wildflower identification

don_pugh

<p>At Laura's suggestion I'm posting the uncropped version of an image I posted on the inaugural Monday nature photo thread. We know it is not a pink lady slipper but thus far have not figured out what it is. I have not had any success identifying it thus far online or in the book "Wildflowers & Plant Communities" that covers the Carolinas, Virginia, Tennessee and Georgia.</p>

<p>If anybody knows what this wildflower is and could let me know I'd appreciate it.</p>

<p>I don't know if it is worth having a permanent thread on this board for wildflower and plant identification (and perhaps one for birds as well), but if so I'm fine with this thread serving that purpose.</p><div>00bgWx-539459584.jpg.24b24c21b755ba8e50e0064950661d0f.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Don. Your flower is probably a vetch which is a type of legume which typically grows close to the ground in grassland. This one looks like the Wood Vetch (Vicia sylvatica) which is common here in England but there are lots of other closely related Vicia species so it's impossible to be certain without local knowledge.</p>

<p>Thanks Carroll and Roy. I've looked up the Wood Vetch and definitely see some similarity in shape but the pictures I've seen online so far are white, not pink. But there are often too many variations on wildflowers and plants to show them all. I think you both are right that it's in the pea/legume family.</p>

<p>Hi Don The colour of these vetches is somewhat variable. White, pink, purple and almost blue are possible. There are also closely related yellow species. Here Vicia sylvatica is usually the same colour as in your photo. Here is a link to Google images showing the variability of these plants :<br>

<a href="http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=641&q=wood+vetch&oq=wood+vetch&gs_l=img.12..0.2432.12838.0.16429.20.9.2.9.2.0.141.756.7j2.9.0...0.0.0..1ac.1.12.img.6k9sUQ8XiUA">http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=641&q=wood+vetch&oq=wood+vetch&gs_l=img.12..0.2432.12838.0.16429.20.9.2.9.2.0.141.756.7j2.9.0...0.0.0..1ac.1.12.img.6k9sUQ8XiUA</a><br>

The definitive source book for identifying vetches and other wild flowers here in Britain is : W.Keble Martin - The New Concise British Flora (1982). As many wild flowers have a worldwide range or closely related species in many countries this book is an ideal starting point for identification purposes especially if you do not have any specific books on flora in your location. You should be able to find a copy on eBay. <br>

I've photographed these vetches myself in the past and it is very easy to render some of the lighter lilac or pink ones as white by over-exposing them. </p>