Question Concerning Sending Vendors Photos

nataliebolea

<p>I recently did a newborn shoot and bought outfits from an online vendor. The vendor saw a blog post of the shoot and asked for the digital files. I am assuming this is for her own self-promotion. In these instances, do other photographers recommend sending photos? It seems that I am both buying the vendor's product and providing digital files for their advertisements, but not receiving anything in return. In my opinion, other newborn photographers would be seeing these photos, not potential clients, so I don't see this as a way of getting more business. If I am incorrect, please let me know. I would love to hear your thoughts.</p>

<p>IMOPO:</p>

<p>(1) Unless you really want to help the vendor for some reason, insist on something in return: money, a photo credit on their website / catalog (maybe even with a link to your website or blog), more outfits, <em>something</em>. Also, you may want to put explicit limits on how they can use the pictures (e.g., website only, website or vendor's printed catanlog, maybe a time limit).</p>

<p>(2) Whatever deal you strike, get it in writing, preferably one that somebody in a responsible position at the vendor signs and returns to you.</p>

<p>(3) I would not send raw files--ask them what resolution, crop, etc. they want and send them appropriate JPEG's (or even TIFF's if they want).</p>

<p>Dave's absolutely right. a photo credit would be the absolute <em>minimum</em> (and costs the vendor nothing). Personally, I would watermark the images, but that may be negotiable as long as they give proper credit (and a link). A link's value cannot be understated, and I would at least ask for that as well.<br>

Any agreement (on the use) needs to treated the same as a contract with a client, or another photog. Get it in writing, specifically.</p>

<p>If the vendor is well regarded, such credit can be far more important than a small check, or free outfits. I think it's a mistake to assume that only other photogs will be seeing the images, as, I'm sure, the vendor sells to individuals as well. IME, a link is a bit more powerful than you may expect. If the hosting site is well indexed, that link will drive up your site's indexing as well. I hate to say it, but google's bots love to follow links. </p>

<p>But first, I would also contact the client and ask them how they feel about it, I would support whatever choice they express. And while them agreeing to let you post images to your blog can be interpreted as tacit approval, it would be in your best interest to discuss it with them first. So while the 'model release' is strictly the user's (of the image) responsibility to obtain, it'll grease the wheels if you have one you can provide to the vendor.</p>

<p>James is of course right that if the baby is not your child, then you'd better have the parents' permission. (Not sure whether I omitted mention of that because I was tired, or because it would apply across the board and is not limited to any particular situation, or what.) If you have a written, signed contract with the parents, it <em>may possibly</em> cover some or all of the vendor's potential uses and/or some or all of your potential deals (but I wouldn't bet on that). You absolutely need to look into this issue.</p>

<p>I wrote a response to this a while ago and realize now it somehow did not officially post. Thank you all for your help and your repsonses. It was very helpful. I talked to the vendor and made sure that I did receive something in return and that it was in writing. She did post the link to my website and I only gave a low resolution, watermarked image. I also do have a model release and always make sure I do for all my clients.<br>

Again, thanks to all for taking the time to give me your input.</p>