How is the D7100 shaping up (new owners)?

Ian Rance

<p>I thought that the D7100 would be all over these forums but it seems a bit quiet. Looking 'elsewhere' online it has been not greeted as enthusiasicaly as I would have liked and the comments about the Toshiba sensor are not altogether positive.</p>

<p>However most users of those forums don't even own the camera they talk about so I was wondering what it is like to the new users of it? How is it performing for you?</p>

<p>I was going to suggest it as the 'works camera' in conjunction with a macro lens but I would like to hear a bit more (also about the quality of the sendor output).</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I have been using a D7100 for two weeks. So far it has been great. It has the same Multi-CAM 3500 AF module as the D300, D700, D800, D3, and D4, and it delivers as expected.</p>

<P>

There are a few limitations that I would keep in mind:

</P>

<ul>

<li>Its memory buffer is shallow. That is well known from day 1 based on the specs. In real-life shooting, since the D7100 can write at UHS-1 speed onto fast SD cards, it can empty its memory buffer at about 3 NEF/second; that helps. But the D7100 is certainly no D4 and not really a "D300's replacement."</li>

<li>I have gotten moire on a very small number of images, but that is not a concern: <a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00bVRS">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00bVRS</a></li>

<li>I have confirmed with Nikon that in the D7100's 1.3x crop mode (2x crop from FX), there is no way to set the camera to gray out the area outside of the crop in the viewfinder. To me, the lack of that feature is a bit annoying.</li>

</ul>

<p>The D7100's controls are almost identical to those on the D7000 and D600. In particular, there is no dedicated AF-ON button. I don't care much one way or another, but some people don't like those controls.</p><div>00bWjt-530285584.jpg.2dcd6fab237c6b059bbc2bebc7d3f882.jpg</div>

<p>I’ve had mine for a couple of weeks now, and I am quite happy. I’ll point out that I move up from a D200 though. I find that the higher ISO looks quite promising, and the noise that I got inside at ISO 6400 was easy to tame. I doubt that I will very often shoot at ISO 1600 or above, but it is a nice option. I haven’t yet experienced the moiré problem that Shun has experienced, but it is something to keep in mind when shooting at subjects that have tight parallel lines. Maybe my "less than pro" lenses will act as a low pas filter.<br /><br />I find the images are sharp, and I expect the new auto focus system will be nice to have. I almost always shoot in manual mode, RAW format. A problem I had using my SB800 flash in Aperture Priority turned out to be and operator (me) error.<br /><br />I was hampered by the fact that most RAW editing software has yet to be updated, but Adobe finally has updated. The latest preview (April 4th) gives a more in-depth analysis:<br /><br /><a href="http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/04/04/nikon-d7100-preview-updated-olpf-aafilter">http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/04/04/nikon-d7100-preview-updated-olpf-aafilter</a></p>

<p>I suspect that the "quiet" responses reflect users evaluating the new camera. I have had mine for a week. I upgraded from the D90 so there has been a lot to learn. Here are some first impressions.<br>

The way it feels when I hold it and the general layout of buttons and dials is close enough to the D90 to feel very comfortable. I love the new mode and shooting dial on the top left. Some find it awkward to use, but I love it. The FN and Depth of Field preview buttons are reversed from the D90. As are the zoom plus/minus buttons for playback on the back. I like the finish on the camera, it has a nice "grippy" feel. The viewfinder is great, big bright and easy to use. The Auto Focus system is wonderful. Totally different than the D90, but very easy to understand and use. Even better, it actually works perfectly! I do very little high ISO work, almost never shoot in really low light and don't use video so I have nothing to comment regarding those features.<br>

The few images I have taken are stunning. I am a tripod shooter, use only single point AF, and shoot RAW / standard. The raw/standard setting seems to me to be a little more saturated than I got on the D90. Almost like the Vivid setting was on the D90. Moving from 12mpx to 24mpx is a real jump. I'm glad I have very good lenses. (16-35 f/4, 24-85vr, 70-200 f/r vr). Even so, if a person is coming from the D90 like me, be prepared to encounter diffraction earlier than you used to. So far I have only been shooting with the 70-200 and my Sigma 150 macro. On both lenses, noticeable diffraction shows up at f/11 and get worse as I stop down. I used to comfortably use f/22 on the macro lens for example that only required minor sharpening in PS. With the D7100, f/22 using the Sigma macro is unusable. However, at f/8 and larger both lenses on the D7100 produce beautiful, razor sharp photos. Nothing to report on the wide angle 16-35 as I haven't tried it out yet. I have taken only a few handheld shots with the 24-85 but they are superb.<br>

So, it's early days, but overall I like the camera very much. I imagine in the next few weeks you will begin to see more in-depth responses as people finish setting up and testing. Especially now that we have full ACR and Lightroom support!<br>

Dave</p>

<p> </p>

<p>d7100 is a high MP camera offering 1.3x crop factor in addition to 1.5x dx factor. Thus, the camera seems to be targetted for the people who use telephoto lenses, mostly for wildlife photographers. Even though the extra MP may allow greater crops, the following problems will arise:<br>

First of all, the photographer will be forced to stay in the low iso ranges to get the MP benefits, otherwise the noise would degrade the image quality. Thus, the camera makes sense only if it is used in bright day lights. Second, in regard to this point, the use of teleconverters is out of option. Third, the camera has small room for stability errors due to its small pixels, therefore it has to be used with high shutter speeds especially for hand held shots, requiring fast lenses, I would say at least f/4 lenses.<br>

So, the question for wildlife photography remains: dx or fx (small pixels vs. large pixels) ?<br>

Personally, I would prefer fx for its better image quality, flexibility and ease of use. Today, fx cameras offer enough MP for wildlife. Furthermore, if an fx camera with a long lense are not enough for long range shots, such pictures would propably suffer from athmospheric effects anyway.</p>

<p>Thank you very much for the input. The camera would mainly be used on a tripod, at ISO 100 and with a 60mm Micro lens. The photos would be used for subsequent evaluation of items that need precise assembly and so zooming in at 100% on screw heads, springs, mechanism placement and wire routing will be part of the use. At the moment a D40x is being used but in the rather unpleasant mixed lighting and sometimes shadowy equipment it is falling short of what is needed.<br>

As it is so new I agree that a small wait to gather more info is a good idea but I really do think this is shaping up to be a good (if not great) camera.</p>

<p>Had mine since Tuesday (4days). I have a D80 and D90. I'm blown away by how sharp the images are and by the low noise at high ISO. I don't think I'll need any pre-sharpening in my workflow any more. <br>

I don't regret the purchase one bit.<br>

The following is a 3463X4056 crop from a 4000x6000 image ISO 3200 Sigma 150mm macro 1/800 f/3.5. Makes me happy!</p><div>00bWny-530329784.jpg.c16724dc9322154a7df2cacd2456b6e8.jpg</div>

<p>I ordered one, but really didn't like the small size or ergonomics of it, and didn't like the rubber USB area cover. It has a very thin rubber self-hinge that looks like it would break in short order, but that's a minor issue compared to ergonomics for me. I sent it back, so I never shot with it.<br>

In my case, since I tend to keep my cameras for years and not spend a fortune every time (or even every other time) a new one comes out--I still use a D80--I've decided to go full frame. I'm also really annoyed by how Nikon has handled issues with some of their newer cameras, and now prefer the ergonomics of Canon models better, so I have made the decision to switch to Canon. I'm heading way up the chain to a 5d Mark iii.<br>

If you're doing primarily studio photography, maybe a D7000 would be plenty for you? It's a pretty great price right now.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It has a very thin rubber self-hinge that looks like it would break in short order, but that's a minor issue compared to ergonomics for me. I sent it back, so I never shot with it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, the D7000 has similar USB port and GPS port covers. I have had my D7000 since it was first available in November, 2010. After two and half years, there is no problems so far.</p>

<p>Back in 2010, I thought the D7000 was a bargain. I don't really care for the additional pixels (up to 24MP) on the D7100, but the improved AF system (with the Multi-CAM 3500, although I am also happy with the Multi-CAM 4800 on the D7000 as well as its 16MP) is a welcome addition.</p>

<p>Currently I am using a D7100 review sample from Nikon, but I am going to get one myself.</p>

<p>I was thinking long and hard about getting an FX body. But I handled the D7100 at the WPPI<br>

show and saw the high iso images, the wildlife shots and the landscape pics and felt<br>

the points Shun made about the camera were the same ones that made me decide that carrying a more compact camera that meets my expectations made sense.<br>

The Magnesium frame and weather seals, plus the higher end AF, D800e type sensor<br>

make it a bargain. I plan on getting the grip, and with the grips added battery power<br>

and ergonomics, I think the camera will be sized just right for my meaty hands<br>

and still be compact compared to the D3/D4 cameras. Shun you and I feel the same<br>

way about Nikon going too far with the 24mp. for me anything from 16-20mp would<br>

have made more sense. For this level camera most buyers won't print that large, the<br>

extra pixels just slow the camera down and chew up memory and processing power<br>

and show the deficiencies in our technique and our lenses.<br>

I know I will be using monopods and Tripods a lot more now (probably always should<br>

have but got away with it at lower resolutions)<br>

Nikon made a winner if your not a high speed sports photog. Even so I understand<br>

the buffer could get you 33 JPEGs before full if you occasionally need long bursts.<br>

But if I was a pro sports guy I would be looking at a D4 and I would have the wallet<br>

to afford one. </p>

<p>Devon, the 'hinge' on my D80 is the smallest strip of 'rubber' feasible. The covers on the ports of the D7100 actually include hinge pins and are not a simple 'flap'.<br>

I have the D80 and D90 and find the ergonomics of the D7100 similar. I admit that the space for my fingers is a bit tighter on the D7100 when my Sigma 85mm f/1.4 is attached; but, my fingers don't touch the lens and it does not affect the overall ergonomics. <br>

It is a shame you didn't shoot with the D7100 and compare them to the images from your D80. I would rarely go above ISO 400 on the D80. That was one of the limitations of the CCD as opposed to the CMOS sensor on the D90. On the D90, I reluctantly went above ISO 800, although ISO 1600 was acceptable. I'm blown away by the high ISO performance of the D7100. ISO 3200: no problem. ISO 6400: quite acceptable. ISO 25,600: useable under some circumstances.<br>

The images from the D7100 at all ISOs are <em><strong>so sharp</strong></em>. I'm not sure if my perception is the result of moving from 10 and 12MP bodies to a 24MP one, or if it has to do with the lack of an AA filter. Maybe it has to do with the focusing system. Shun may be able to help with this.<br>

I'm sure the 5D Mark III is a fine camera. Did you order the Canon before receiving the D7100? </p>

<p>I haven't been talking about the camera because I've been busy out shooting it! I have some thoughts, of course. Don't like: the buffer does fill up fast when shooting NEF. I got screwed today because I began pumping shots too soon and when my subject rolled into perfect position, the camera was done. I need to develop more discipline here. The camera seems slow in placing images on two cards, so I've started only using one unless shooting something critical. What I like: image quality is superb! (I'm using Nikon f2.8 zooms.) The AF is extremely fast and highly reliable. I can even get it to focus at night for me. No more missing shots because the focus couldn't lock. I also like the size. ISO seems really good only to about ISO 2000, but that's almost always enough for me. I'm often taking shots at night and even then only shooting ISO 800 anyway. Do I have buyer's remorse here? Definitely not. It's basically a great sensor paired with superb AF in a competent body.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>I am loving the D7100 so far. I went from a D7000 to the D7100, so my upgrade jump won't be as high from a D90. however, I am seeing a lot of improvements cosmetically and tech wise. The AF system is the biggest one for me since I do a lot of wildlife/sports photography. the ISO performance for indoor use is also improved. but, I have my SB-600, so indoor is no problem. the buffer is not all that great for RAW. but I can compromise. the D7000 was 1200 back nearly 3 years ago and now you can buy the D7100 for the same price. so, TY nikon for that. </p>

John, I was actually talking about where the rubber hinge folds in the middle, but it's good to hear from Shun that they

hold up.

As for shooting, I'm sure it's a great camera in that regard, but I really don't like Nikon's ergonomics anymore, and that's

an important thing. I also really want to move to full frame for a number of reasons.

I did not order the Canon yet, but I've played with one at a local shop and loved it. I'm waiting for BH Photo to receive and

refund my D7100 return, and then hopefully Canon will have another discount offer in the next month or two, since the

last one ended last weekend. Until then, I'll wait, since the camera and lens are a huge investment.

I do mostly food photography and studio work, so low ISO's, but I also want to rent a long lens occasionally when we RV

in the summers and try my hand at birds. I know I'll lose the reach from DX, but I'm okay with that.

<p>I don't find it that much more wonderful then my d7000 - except for the autofocus, which makes it worth it in my mind. I also really like the locking mode dial, and new auto WB settings. The grip is nicer too.</p>

<p>I received my D7100 on Thursday. Took it out shooting today. It is such an improvement from my D90. I can not believe how much faster the focus is. Images are noticeably sharper. </p>

<p>Also played with the 1.3 crop mode today with a 70-300 VR lens. Definitely going to need to use a tripod for fully zoomed shots. </p>

<p>I too was a bit worried about the ergonomics due to my large hands. (I'm 6'4" 210 lbs - I got me some big hands) I found I was able to get use to handling the camera very quickly and don't see it being an issue. Looking forward to when the after market grips hit the market. I will add it right away has I found my D90 was much easier to handle once I added the grip.</p>

<p>All in all, So far - ZERO regrets on the purchase.</p>

<p>I find it to have lots of good (Af and weather sealing are nice), but wish the 24mp was still around 16 or even 12. I am sick of adding HD space all the time and upgrading my computers ability to cope every two years.</p>

<p>I had the D600 since they first hit shelves, and I got this as it hit shelves too (a few weeks now). I have used them side by side and honestly, the AF is better in the D7.1k iMO. Pictures a worth a thousand words, so that is what ultimately decides if I want a body, and this one delivers a great image (considering the overstuffed sensor), and handles very well for me.</p>

<p>I don't readily see a great difference in IQ from the missing AA filter, but hope that in some cases, that will at least "help". Pentax are doing more to pull detail from their lack of AA filter than Nikon.</p>

<p>Seeing that it is useless to extol the cameras virtues with out pictures, here is a cropped shot through dirty and thick glass, in very ugly light (and not a lot of it), that helps show why I like this cam... </p><div>00bWvK-530507584.jpg.352b516fb88308ab4fb950f494803f38.jpg</div>

<p>At the pixel level, ISO 1600 on the D7100 is a bit noisy, but you have 24MP so that there is plenty of room for down sampling. The D600 has the big advantage of having an FX sensor. I have never used those two cameras side by side, but I expect at least a one-stop advantage from the D600.</p>

<p>Below is a pixel-level crop from the D7100.</p><div>00bX01-530585584.jpg.8542b23816b0c83e8e973e42d1f780ca.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks again for the helpful replies (I'm sure they are helpful to others too). That does look a bit grainy at ISO 1600 but not smudged or with colour defects. How does it perform at base ISO on highly detailed subjects?</p>

<p>I have owned mine for approx two weeks. I brought the camera to bring along on a trip to Hilton Head ,SC . My main photography in Sc will be wildlife. My reason for upgrading from the D7000 was the focusing capabilities. The ergonimics are not that much different than the D7000 but I have learned to adjust as there is nothing I prefer except the old D300s or the D800 which does not suit my needs. The picture quality is excellent.. much the same as the D7000 but I find it a bit sharper with more details in the birds I am shooting. The focus is much snappier on the D7100 and overall the upgrade is a good one for me. The data in the viewfinder is easier to read..the LCD viewfinder is excellent..and the price very competitive with other cameras on the market. The buffer is not a huge issue for me as I usually shoot in Fine Jpeg. If I shoot a raw image it will be a landscape or portrait and this camera surely can handle that. I purchased an Exreme Pro card for the camera and it does seems to make the camera respond much better. I am not sure if a D400 were introduced this summer is I would buy one. The camera suits my needs perfectly and it is light enough to carry all day. I have used the crop mode and find it useful at times. I agree with Shun that it would have been nice to have a greyed out area when in crop mode..but I have gotten use to it and now realize I must frame the bird inside the grid.</p>