Should I upgrade from Nikon D70s to Nikon D7100

christopher_kruger

<p>Let that be a lesson to you all that just because someone is sixteen doesn't mean that they have no money - as a wise man once told me: 'Never assume.' And I would still suggest Christopher get the D7100 for the satisfaction of having the latest technology - saving a few hundred dollars for a piece of equipment that he intends to have for a long time seems silly. My only proviso is that with all the weird bugs that new Nikon cameras have been having lately he might want to wait and see if anything pops up with the D7100 if he doesn't want to put up with the process of return and repair.</p>

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p>Let that be a lesson to you all that just because someone is sixteen doesn't mean that they have no money - as a wise man once told me: 'Never assume.'</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sure, but there are two more things to keep in mind:</p>

<ol>

<li>As Michael Chang pointed out, the OP did write in the opening post: " it will just be to much money for me to spend." Therefore, there was some indication that budget can be a concern.</li>

<li>Just because someone says his/her budget is infinite does not mean it is indeed infinite. I don't think even Bill Gates' budget is infinite either, although it is very close to it. And just because someone says he/she is 16 ....</li>

</ol>

<p>Afterall, this is the internet. Unless it is an established member with a posting history of at least a couple of years, I take everything with a grain of salt.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I agree with Shun's latest recommendation, which coincides with what I wrote earlier. Even in the face of a "limitless" budget, get yourself a D90 if you find it in great condition for less than $500, or a D7000 for $800-$850. Even those are so far above your camera that you'll be one of the happiest people on the planet with the upgrade. Plus, as I mentioned, the D7100 is likely going to be sold out just like every higher-end Nikon camera released in the past few years. And also like pretty much every Nikon higher-end camera released in the past few years, we've seen manufacturing errors, growing pains, etc. that have invariably led to serious shooting issues, and have needed the camera to be sent back to the factory. Don't be a test dummy for Nikon; the D7000 had its bugs worked out already (focus issues on some of the cameras and oil spots on the sensor).</p>

Christopher:

I have been photographer since I was 16 myself, seroiusly since the mid 80s. I am now in my 70s, and still continually learning. Sometimes you take some truely great immages and you think you are getting pretty darn good. Then you meet up with a master that shoots for National Geographic and you are driven back to reality, but you had the opportunity to learn.

Keep at it, get out of your comfort zone, and never give in or up.

Sorry if this was already discussed, as I only read page 1, it is after midnight, and we loose an hour tonight.

Keep on learning.

Duane

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Buy new glass. You will see a big difference in the quality of the photos. Also, the learning never ends, I've been shooting for 25 years and I haven't mastered all I can do, find new styles, techniques and subjects. The D70 is one of the few cameras that can have a very high flash sync speed when used with manual flashes/strobes, I've gone as high as 1/8000 with a 285hv, main reason I will never get rid of this camera.</p>