Using two different brands of studio lights

john_may5

<p>My question, is it ok two use two different brands of lights in the studio. Right now I have two Elinchrom BX500Ri which have been working great for me. I would like to add two more light and can't justify buying two more Elinchroms right now but I have come across a deal for two AlienBees B800. So will I run into any lighting issues using two Elinchroms and two AlienBees? </p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>It's possible that as you dial down the power on the ABs, you'll see some minor drift in color temps. So do some testing, the better to know if you should use them for rim/hair lighting, etc. They're great for the money, but they don't have the Einstein's temp stability across all power levels. I've seen AB800s shift by a few hundred degrees when power goes really low.<br /><br />Really kind of depends on how you see yourself using them.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It's possible that as you dial down the power on the ABs, you'll see some minor drift in color temps. So do some testing, the better to know if you should use them for rim/hair lighting, etc.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I agree with Matt. Use your Elinchroms for the Key / fill light and the Alienbees for backlights. Its fine to mix and match lights, your main concern is colour temperature. Out of the two studio lights your Elinchrom BX500Ri are far superior studio lights to the Alienbees in terms of color temp consistency and fast flash duration. <strong>With your Elinchrom lights its only about +/- 200K</strong> colour temp variance from max to min which is very very good. Keep in mind the "average color shift" for studio lights from max to min is about 200-300K. There are few studio lights that are exceptional like Profoto which is about +/- 150K.</p>

<p>So it would really be better to keep all the lights the same and not have to worry about color temperature problems. I guess it all comes to price, I can get two used AlienBees B800 for about $400, or one used Elinchrom BX250Ri for $460</p>

<p>Or, one Einstein for $499 ... and that would be much better than either of them if you're eventually looking at a multi-light setup. I can't recommend them enough for the price. Excellent control over color temp and flash duration, and access to a truly slick remote control system as you build.</p>

<p>Things are a little simpler if you stick to one brand and one model of flash unit -- there are no questions about color temperature matching, and it's easier to figure out lighting ratios in your head if each unit has the same power output. But yes, you can definitely mix and match all you like. Camera doesn't know and doesn't care what brand the lights are. I use Novatron monolights for my main, fill and background lights, but use a Vivitar 283 or 285 as my hair light since the Novatrons are too heavy for the small boom I have. I've also mixed Novatrons with Photogenic, and seen Speedotrons used with ancient Ascors.<br /><br />I wouldn't go crazy about color temperature unless you're shooting something where exact color is critical. Advice above to use your current lights as the main and fill -- where the color balance is most important -- is good. If the hair light or background light is off a couple hundred degrees nobody is going to notice. If you really want to nail it down, you can figure out how much the difference is between the lights, then gel one to match the other.</p>

<p>Alienbees are definitely known to color shift, but are useful nonetheless.<br>

<br />The only real reason to try to avoid using multiple brands is that your modifiers aren't universal to all of your lights and if your key light goes down it's not like you can switch the speed ring/softbox to another light... </p>

<blockquote>

<p>The only real reason to try to avoid using multiple brands is that your modifiers aren't universal...</p>

<p>Its fine to mix and match lights, your main concern is colour temperature.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>As I said before, its perfectly fine to mix and match studio lights and/or speedlights/flashguns but use of modifiers is not you main problem this is just one of the problems. Another problem is internal or proprietary radio communications i.e. Elinchrom Skyports...I shoot with the Bowens Explorer 1500 w/s pack and head which uses a "built in" and non-removable Bowens Pulsar receiver and Bowens radio cards (removable radio cards) in the monolights... but that is discussion for a totally different new thread . <strong>The main problem is color temp and flash duration</strong>, which is why everyone here is recommending the OP use his BEST studio light (Elinchrom) for the Key/fill.</p>