I searched the archives and have found may posts on backbacks, but

I'm looking for practical experiences from those who have similar

equipment of what I would want to include in a backpack. I'm looking

for a backpack that would carry a Nikon D100, N70, 500mm f4, 300mm

f4, 28-105mm, 18-35mm plus a SB80 flash. The pack would need to be

airline carryon qualified. Other items I would probably want to

include while hiking would be a pair of binoculars, tripod and space

for some layered clothes.

What would be your recommendation on a backpack?

Thanks,

Al Menk

What do you guys like in the AW vs the Classic Photo Trekker? I have a classic that I will likely replace (It is autographed by Galen Rowell and I just want to preserve it a bit). It has served my needs well with the only problem I've ever had is that I find the tripod loops on the bottom cumbersome and insecure. Any other big benefits of the AW since the price is significantly higher?

--evan

I had a Nature Trekker and the 500mm f4 will JUST fit down the middle if the camera is NOT attached to the lens. Also, if you are about 6' tall or taller, the Nature trekker is not really that comfortable. With the straps adjusted correctly, the waist belt sits way above my waist. You want a good fit (just like a regular backpack), or you will really feel the weight of all that gear. I believe the Photo Trekker AW will hold the 500mm with body attached and is considered the largest bag LowePro makes that can be hand carried on to a plane. I have a Pro Trekker which is perfect for me. It is supposed to be too large for airline carry-on, but it is very comfortable for me and will hold all the gear you mentioned, plus some.

Rich

Thanks for all the responses and advice. Looks like the Photo Trekker AW or Photo Trekker Classic would meet my needs. Guess I'm leaning towards the more expensive AW version because of better padding for protection and about inch more in height.

Al

If I may offer my humble thought, whilst the Lowepro gear is excellent, indeed I use one of their fanny packs, I cringed at the expense of the backpacks. I went to a camping store, bought a backpack from their discout rack (last years colors I guess) that looked a good size to me, with plenty straps for tripod, and a couple of external pockets (film/ filters/ lens cloth etc) and a long zipper to allow access, and then visited the local fabric store. I purchased a suitable sixed piece of 1/2" foam, and an equal sized piece of 4" foam (check size by turning bag inside out and trim any excess if necessary).

Once home I laid my equipment on the foam, body and longest lens uppermost for ease of access,everything else per convenience/fit, drew around them, cut out the pieces with a craft knife, and bonded the foam together.

I used it as a carry on on a recent trip to Scotland with no problem, though remember to put your tripod in your stowed luggage when flying.

It may not be a suitable solution for you, but works perfectly well for about $35, hope this may help.

<< It's the largest one that fits all standard airline templates.

I like mine so much that I bought a spare in case they decided to stop making

them.

$152.95.

>>

I own a Pro-Trekker and love it, but it is clearly too large for airline travel. I am also looking into a photo backpack for air travel. According to the Lowepro website the Photo Trekker Classic is 14x13x20 (inches) and the Nature Trekker AW is 14.5 15x19...very close in size. The problem is that I went to the US Air website (I live in Pittsburgh so this is essentially the only airline in town for the most part) and the policy section of their website says that the max allowed size for the overhead compartment is 10x16x24. I am not sure to what degree this is enforced these days but in theory, neither of these cases will fit. I would hate to be in a situation where they say it must be checked which obviously is not going to happen in a soft case like these...what do you do then? (Even the Mini-Trekker is 12x2.5x16)

Howard

I have the lowepro phototrekker. I use it as my carryon bag and I usually fit the following into the bag:<br>

* 500/f4 without the hood(I put the hood in the luggage)<br>

* Nikon D1<br>

* Nikon D1x<br>

* 300/f4<br>

* 105/2.8 micro<br>

* 70-210/f4 <br>

* 24-85mm G<br>

* Digital camera battery<br>

* dozen of 120 film<br>

* Terapin mine(portable digital storage)<br>

* Coolpix 4300<br>

* TC-14E<br>

* misc small stuff(CF card, filter, lenspen, hand warmer, batteries, key).<br>

* toothpaste&brush, shampoo, chapstick, pair of gloves, 1 hat, 1 shirt and 1 pants. I carry these on carryon incase the airline lost my luggage.<br>

<br>

Works wonderfully for me. I definetly dont want to go any smaller, anything smaller it would be a problem packing the 500mm and 300mm lens. I probably could go bigger but I want something slightly smaller than the max allowable carryon size, that way I can argue better if they try to check in the bag. Also when its loaded its pretty darn heavy, I can feel it even just walking around the terminal.

--ricardo

• 6 months later...
Buying my first photo-backpack i was very dissapointed. Lowe Pro's Nature Trekker has one of the worst and most uncomfortable harness's i've ever seen. Being an expirenced tramper with a high quality pack, maybe i am used to packs that dont have little metal bits that cut into your back. Whatever you do, go to a store so you can check out the pack before hand, and dont buy if it isnt comfortable.