Something different...

e_rin

<p>I was recently asked to photograph a bridal shower and rehearsal dinner. The bridal shower would take place over the summer and the rehearsal dinner will take place this fall. Both of the events will be taking place about 90 miles from my home and the drive time is a little over an hour and a half each way - so it'd be at least 3 hours of travel each day. She is only requesting about two hours of coverage for each event.</p>

<p>I've never been asked to photograph a bridal shower or a rehearsal dinner so I'm really stuck on how to price this type of event and am looking for some advice. Since the events are both a bit of a drive from my home and I'd be spending more time in the car than behind my camera shooting, I'd like to make sure I am being compensated fairly for all of the time I will be putting into this before, during, and after each event.</p>

<p>Do any of you have any ideas or suggestions?</p>

<p>Have you ever charged for your time before? You should have a minimum rate for up to two hours. The travel can be tricky cause it can take 1 1/2 hours or it could take 2 1/2 hours with traffic. I personally like a per mile formula $1 per mile plus the cost of gas and tolls. I figure it out and add it to my minimum. In the end it is all about negotiations, there is no right answer here. The more experience you get the more you can charge. </p>

<p>I'd have to agree in principal, I found a few years back that it really helps to have a default 'hourly shooting rate' - one which you calculate based on your appraisal of the opportunity cost of shooting, plus tangible (normal) costs, plus a reasonable 'profit margin'. It is also something that you should base upon your interpretation of what you feel the market will bear, and be relevant to the quality of your work.</p>

<p>It's nothing you have to stick to, and I routinely discount significantly from it when shooting 'packages' but it gives me a good consistent baseline to work from - especially when odd requests come up (like, for example, ... "We want some family portraits of us sailing... you could come out on the boat with us!"). </p>

<p>As far as the travel cost goes, Michael's 'per mile' rate seems relatively simple and straightforward - easy to itemize. While $1/mile +gas + tolls (+parking?) seems a little excessive to me - <em>I</em> don't live in the NE! and so it is much cheaper <em>and faster</em> for me to drive 90miles than it would be for him... <br>

Personally, for something similar to your situation,<em> in my region</em>, I would probably charge about $.75/mile <em>including</em> incidentals (for simplicity sake). That covers (within reason) my travel time and cost.<br>

...But even at 75cents/mile, you are still looking at travel costs that <em>may</em> exceed the billed amount for the photography (though it wouldn't for me), which would certainly give me pause before emailing the total cost to the client ;-)</p>

<p>hopefully that helps you somewhat!</p>

<p>Thanks for both of your input - it's much appreciated!</p>

<p>I definitely agree with you about the fact that travel costs might end up costing more than the shoot itself.. which is why I posted here looking for some help. I really don't mind making the drive, but at the same time I know that I do have to keep in mind that in the end I'll be driving at least 360 miles and spending at least 6 hours in the car.. all for a total of 4 hours of shooting. With that in mind, that's 10 hours of my time before I spend time sorting through the images, editing everything, transferring files to DVDs or flash drives, and mailing everything.. twice!</p>

<p>I was thinking about asking her if she was trying to keep everything within a specific price range.. but I feel like that might just backfire since she'll probably throw a really low number at me that doesn't even begin to compensate me for all of the time, hard work, and effort I'll have to put into everything.</p>

<p>I'm so stuck on this!</p>

<p>You don't have to be stuck on this. What will make you happy? $350, $450, $550, $650, $750, higher? you don't have to give them a break down just say this is my price and it includes the travel. Personally i would not do less than $650. These are freelance rates by the way. Studio rates would be doubled.</p>