Weird hasselblad fisheye question

bryce_hoeper1

I have a very strange question.

I need a cheap easy way to "fisheye" my hasselblad lens. I have a shoot that needs to be shot on my hassy and needs to be fisheye, but

I obviously don't want to buy the 30mm and locally there is no where to rent it / renting isn't going to be an option. I currently have the

80mm t* with the b60 filter mount.

Could I, in theory, get a b60-72mm step up ring and adapt a .4x fisheye attachment (the crappy ones they use on camcorders) and get a

fisheye effect?

I was thinking either this ( www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673947-REG/Opteka_OPTSC72F... )

or this ( www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673948-REG/Opteka_OPT724PF... )

I know the quality is going to be garbage, I just want to make sure I can somewhat focus, I am able to shoot at f8-f11 if I need to sharpen

it up.

Im sorry for the silly question, I just don't know who else to ask :/

<p>I'm nor sure about a camcorder attachment, but there are fisheye converters for the 35mm format. I think if you can get an adapter to fit it on the 80mm, it might focus OK. I think so because I believe they are afocal converters, i.e., they have no focal length in and of themselves. Another issue is whether it will be compatible with the rather large front element of the 80mm Planar. If not, stopping down might solve that. Check eBay to see what fisheye converters you can find.</p>

<p>Bryce,</p>

<p>Years ago, Spiratone (and others) sold a fisheye supplementary lens that used "t" mount style plates to fit not only many 35mm camera lenses, but also to Hasselblad lenses.</p>

<p>I've got one and while it may not be as sharp as a prime fisheye, it does a surprisingly good job. perhaps you can find one on ebay or rent one somewhere. It is quite simple to use and cheap enough to buy if you can find the adapter for the Hasse.</p>

<p>Tim</p>

<blockquote>

<p>...I know the quality is going to be garbage, I just want to make sure I can somewhat focus...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Since these adapters are for video cameras, I don't think you will be able to achieve focus on your Hasselblad. <br>

The film plane on your MF camera is much farther away from the lens, then the sensor/film plane on a video camera.</p>

<p>If you only own/have access to a Hasselblad, have you thought about getting a fisheye lens from a Kiev/Arax 88? </p>

That's right, Bryce. There's no shutter in the Kiev lens.<br><br>You could get a cheap Kiev camera to put the Kiev fish-eye on (saves on finding and paying someone to change the mount from Kiev to Hasselblad. Which involves supplying something - Hasselblad extension tube - that has a Hasselblad mount on it). But this is perhaps taking it a step or two too far already.

The conversion?<br>The Kiev mount on the Arsat/Zodiak 30 mm fisheye has to come off, and a Hasselblad mount put on. The Hasselblad mount is taken from an extension tube.<br>It, of course, has to be done properly, to ensure infinity focus is maintained, the lens is 'square on', etc.<br>The resulting lens can be used on focal plane shutter Hasselblads (2000- and 200-series), since there is no shutter in the lens itself. The diaphragm is manual, i.e. closes and opens with the turn of the aperture ring.<br>The Arsat/Zodiak 30 mm fisheye has a filter mounted on the rear, which is part of the optical design, i.e. when not using one of the three supplied colour filters, the also supplied blank has to be used to retain the best performance the lens could deliver. However, there is no room for such a filter when converted to Hasselblad mount; the mirror would hit against it. So though the difference perhaps is small, you cannot get the best out of the lens.<br><br>The lens itself is not a great performer. Not bad. But not great either.<br>It, of course, is much cheaper than the Zeiss fisheye, so it would be unfair to expect performance to be on the same level anyway.<br>It is cheaper than the Zeiss, but (unless you get lucky on eBay) still not cheap enough, i think, for a one-time experiment. If you want to use it more, getting one in Kiev or Pentacon mount plus a camera (Kiev or Pentacon) to go with it could be cheaper than having one converted to Hasselblad mount. And you could then still use it as it was intended to be used: with rear filter.

<p>Here is the original ad for the Spiratone auxiliary lens probably referred to above, It will work on MF as well as 35mm. It is not a T-mount (it screws directly into the filter front of your existing wide to normal lens). Obviously the result is not so good as a real fisheye lens, but it is considerably better than the cheapie adapters sold on eBay nowadays.</p>

<p><br /> They vary considerably in price on eBay these days, sometimes as high as $200, more commonly around $100.<br /> BUT <strong><em>it is absolutely critical that you get at least one of the adapter plates</em></strong> since it is nearly impossible to find them otherwise. Once you have a 49mm or 52mm or whatever original adapter plate, then you can use step-down/step-up rings to adapt them to other sizes.<br /> I did a report on the Spiratone version, the same unit was sold under other brand names as well such as Samigon ( http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00WndY )</p><div>00bXPX-530909684.jpg.29f385f1b539a2674e77f8980904fd0e.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>I have a shoot that needs to be shot on my hassy and needs to be fisheye</p>

</blockquote>

<p>When you say it needs to be shot on your hassy, why exactly? If you just want the shoot to be on 6x6 format, then I would also recommend what Q.G. said - "getting one in Kiev or Pentacon mount plus a camera (Kiev or Pentacon) to go with it". I had such a setup and got some great results with it.</p>

<p>Now if there are other specific reasons - like faster flash sync with the leaf-shutter Hasselblad, or using a digital back with it - then fair enough. The front-of-lens type converter would be ok, but don't expect results as good as the real Kiev fisheye. A real 6x6 180-degree diagonal fisheye has a 30mm focal length, so you're looking for a converter with a power of around 0.35x to attach to your 80mm lens. This is approximate, as the projection probably won't be quite the same as the equidistant (f-theta) projection of the real fisheye.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Since these adapters are for video cameras, I don't think you will be able to achieve focus on your Hasselblad. <br /> The film plane on your MF camera is much farther away from the lens, then the sensor/film plane on a video camera.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Marc, I don't think the distance to the focal plane matters. Unlike, say, a Proxar/closeup lens, these fisheye supplementary lenses don't converge the rays; as Rob F. said, they are afocal: parallel rays in from a point, parallel rays out. They just compress the angle between the rays coming from different points. The prime lens still "thinks" it's seeing a normal scene.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have a shoot that needs to be shot on my hassy and needs to be fisheye, but I obviously don't want to buy the 30mm and locally there is no where to rent it / renting isn't going to be an option.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I know you mentioned there is no place locally for you to rent the Hassy 30mm fisheye but Adorama in NYC has it for rent and will ship it out to you. :)<br /> <strong>HASSELBLAD 30MM CF FISHEYE LENS rental</strong><br /> <a href="http://www.adoramarentals.com/Prod/HS3035CFI.html">http://www.adoramarentals.com/Prod/HS3035CFI.html</a></p>