Which lens for indoor event?

prabhu_v

<p>I've been asked to shoot an indoor event where there will be stage performances, speeches, and then of course an audience. <br>

Which lens would be appropriate for this? I was wondering between a 70-200 and the 24-70. I have a Nikon D600. This is the hall: <a href="http://www.larpd.dst.ca.us/rentals/documents/RLCCCrestaBlanca_FP.pdf">http://www.larpd.dst.ca.us/rentals/documents/RLCCCrestaBlanca_FP.pdf</a><br>

Thanks!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Is there some reason you can't take both lenses?<br>

If you are limited to one, I would probably use the 70-200. It will get you close to the action on the stage. If you need an overall view of the audience, you can try several panoramas and stitch them.<br>

I would guess that the speeches and stage action would be the most important part of the event. And for the audience you could focus on a few individuals or small groups.</p>

<p>If only one, I'd go 70-200 also. As an aside ... have you gone to the hall? "Advanced" it? Evening event? Lighting at some of these venues can get challenging ... also, if you need to shoot the audience ... hmm ... can you turn OFF the focus assist light (for the audience ...esp if they are in the dark) ;-) </p>

<p>70-200 and bring a monopod. This is for the on-stage folks. You also need a wider lens. If you can take both by all means do so. If you are renting and must choose one then rent the 70-200 F/2,8 AFS VR and also take whatever is your personal normal to wide lens also. You will need a good flash. You always need a good flash. You may or may not be allowed to use it during the festivities (if it is speeches you probably will) but you will need it for shots after and around. Don't go without one. I know that your camera has a built in flash. You will need a good flash. Here is a rule of thumb. If there are professional photojournalists there they will all be carrying a good flash so you need one too. Seriously. I mention this because so many people forget this essential piece of kit. Good luck.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I shoot those kind of events often with two D300s bodies, two SB600 strobes (head angled 3/4 up with diffusers), a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC and Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 OS (with the D600 that would be a 24-70 and 70-200) and monopod. Most of the time using a strobe is no problem. I move where I have to get the shot and no one seems to mind. If you only use the 70-200 and do the suggested panorama via multiple shots, be sure to turn the camera sideways (portrait) to maximize your resolution and frame area.</p>

<p>I think you should have the full range covered. At least from 35 to say, 100mm.<br>

If I were shooting with just one of the mentioned lenses, I`d take the 24-70. I don`t know how many people will be there, if packed, a 70-200 could be useless unless you have a good place to shoot.<br>

Usually, you can get closer to your subject, but if there is too much people, it is quite difficult to find free space to shoot with a long lens. Anyway, a 70-200 will be useful to shoot more relaxed and unnoticed.</p>

<p>Not sure where you will be seated, which will obviously make a huge difference in which lens would be of most value to you.</p>

<p>I would rent or borrow a second camera and use one on each. That will give you fast access to both and also provide you with a backup camera which is likely very important.</p>

<p>The 70-200/2.8 works great for such events so definitely bring this one. I shot school events a few years ago, some in very dark rooms but with lighted stage, and got some good results with a D300. With the D600 you have the advantage of being able to shoot at higher ISO and still get very decent result.<br>

If you have to shoot the overall audience then bringing the 24-70 makes sense as well. But this lens can also help if you want a frame of the entire stage.<br>

I would bring both.</p>

<p>As far as flash is concerned I have mixed feelings. In a dark room people will hate you for it but you have to use your own judgment and decide when its use is appropriate and doesn't disturb the audience experience of the event.</p>

<p>Thank you all for the suggestions, very much appreciate it. I ended up renting the 70-200. Renting the 24-70 also would be out of my budget at this time, however, I do have a 16-35 f/4 and a 50 mm 1.8. I think I can take a few wide shots with these.<br /> I'm just curious, do you guys carry the whole bag of lenses with you all the time so you can swap the lenses at any time, or do you keep down your bag somewhere, and just strap the camera and the current lens, and then go to your bag when needed? I only have one camera body.<br /> Also, some of you suggested a monopod. Do you think that this is really needed give that there is VR and ISO? I use a monopod for sports but wondering if I really need for this.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Personally, I use one camera and keep the bag always close to me... but never hanged on my shoulder. It use to happen in churchs, where happen the few events I use to shoot.<br>

If I had to walk continuosly from one side to another in a big hall, or at any place where the bag is an akward companion, I use any of my belt lens bags, from the Think Tank system.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>do you guys carry the whole bag of lenses with you all the time so you can swap the lenses at any time, or do you keep down your bag somewhere, and just strap the camera and the current lens, and then go to your bag when needed? I only have one camera body.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>depends on how much gear you have and what bag you're using. it's good to have a bag you can work out of. i currently use a KATA Report-It 20 PL, which can swallow a 70-200, 24-70, a D3s, a flash, and 1-2 smaller lenses. that bag has a zip-top opening so you dont have to open the entire bag to swap out a lens. not too many messenger-style bags can hold a 70-200 mounted on a pro body, btw. i also have a Kata R-104 backpack for heavier loads or assignments where i'll be doing a lot of walking. you can't easily swap lenses with that one but it does hold a lot of gear. sometimes i carry two bodies in that and put the bag down while i shoot, or strap one body around the chest harness and another across the shoulder.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>some of you suggested a monopod. Do you think that this is really needed give that there is VR and ISO? I use a monopod for sports but wondering if I really need for this.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>no, unless you're also shooting video.</p>

<p>I use a D4 with the 70-200 on it and a D300 with the 17-55 F2.8 on it for an event in a theater. Sometimes I might slip a 50mm F1.4 in my pocket. I don't often carry a camera bag for events like this. </p>

<p>Re the monopod. If I am shooting a stage show from start to finish I often try to take a seat and shoot a large part of the show from the audience. If I can find space where I am not bothering others the monopod makes the camera easier to carry. I can sit in an empty row/area of the theater and my camera is at the ready all of the time. It is more comfort than reducing camera shake but it does reduce camera shake even with VR. (And some would say better than VR if one s careful.)</p>

<p>I find technique for shooting things like dance is critical. If you look for the poses and pauses in movement and shoot then you can get sharper images, dramatic poses and sustain reasonable shutter speeds. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Re the monopod. If I am shooting a stage show from start to finish I often try to take a seat and shoot a large part of the show from the audience. If I can find space where I am not bothering others the monopod makes the camera easier to carry. I can sit in an empty row/area of the theater and my camera is at the ready all of the time. It is more comfort than reducing camera shake but it does reduce camera shake even with VR. (And some would say better than VR if one s careful.)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>depends on what you're shooting but i rarely if ever see monopods in the photo pit at concerts and even less frequently at nightclub events, except dedicated video shooters, who tend to be in one spot the entire time. if you're interacting with the crowd, they tend to get in the way. for shooting a seated event, or from a stationary position, i guess a monopod could work, but not so much if you're walking around. usually i'm not too worried about camera shake with either VR or support since my shutter speeds are around 1/200 or higher. </p>

<p>Suit yourself. Don't use a monopod. Sometimes I use one sometimes I don't. I am suggesting that he consider what his event is and if he can benefit from one that is up to him. I could care less what I see others doing. These are my commissions and not someone else's. I shoot the way that makes me most comfortable. Your results may vary. </p>