RZ67 Lens Choice

greg_hairston

<p>I currently have the RZ with the 3.8 127 lens. I am taking a lot of urban landscape pictures to include frontal shots of older homes. Almost in the style of a Walker Evans. I am looking at the 90mm or the 65mm lens as I feel the 110 (although I have heard it is a great lens) is too close to the 127 to see a major difference in my field of view. My constraints are usually distance from the subject. I can only get so far away before I am in the middle of a busy street which I have done far too many times. So my main focus for now is suburban and urban architecture and urban lifestyle. I am shooting a lot of shotgun style southern homes. Any suggestions. Have I provided enough information for you to give advice.</p>

<p>Greg H.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>50mm f4 shift</em><em>...</em>Not for the RZ...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>+1...ditto.</p>

<p>Greg,<br /> You may also want to check on the 75mm L-A, 'Floating Element' lens.<br /> These can often be purchased for less then the 65mm L-A lenses.<br /> There is currently a 75mm, Floating Element, L-A lens being offered by KEH Camera, on 'the bay.' Listing # (290874954030). <br /> I'll bet KEH will probably accept an offer of around $275-$300 USD for this lens. Two weeks ago it was listed at $323. <br /> (KEH often reduces the price of their equipment during the final week of their 30 day listings).</p>

<p>Eventually, you will want to 'round out' your RZ kit with at least three or four lenses...and probably acquire the 110mm.<br /> The 90mm would then be very close to the 110mm. Until you acquire the 110mm(?), a nice three lens kit could be the<br /> 180mm (plentiful, cheap and great for portraits), your 127mm, and then the 75mm. Maybe later...the 50mm ULD.</p>

<p>Marc</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'll bet KEH will probably accept an offer of around $275-$300 USD for this lens. Two weeks ago it was listed at $323. <br /> (KEH often reduces the price of their equipment during the final week of their 30 day listings).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>As I stated, the lens has a 'best offer' option. You won't know how low KEH will go until you make them an offer.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Are there custom delays and extra cost?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not usually.</p>

<p>Greg,<br /> I'm attaching another 75mm L-A lens from Japan, for $296 USD, w/free shipping. *Bay# (271179936355)<br /> Shipping from Japan to USA is about $30-$35. Shipping within the USA from KEH would be about $10-$15. <br /> A $20-$25 difference...shipping within the USA, vs shipping from Japan.</p>

<p>Include this fact in the comments section on any 'best offer' submitted to KEH; informing KEH, that the true cost of this same lens from Japan (minus seller's shipping), would be about $270-$275 USD.</p>

<p>There are only 2 days remaining on the lens from KEH. This listing as been running since the first of the year.<br /> Let it roll over...see if KEH reduces the asking price when re-listed. The lens listing from Japan has 23 more days.<br /> Also, you can ask the Japanese seller if they would accept a lower price. It doesn't cost anything to ask.</p>

<p>Remember, when using the *Bay 'best offer,' you are only allowed three (3) attempts.<br>

Make your first offer to KEH for about $235-$245 USD.</p>

<p>Marc</p>

<p>I went out and shot with my ETRS today and used the 50mm. It was just about the right FOV that I am looking for. I think I am going to go with the 65mm for the RZ for now. Will get the 90 later and then maybe a long portrait lens to complete the kit. <br>

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it.<br>

Greg</p>

<p>Greg,<br /> Depending on your edge-to-edge/center-to-edge sharpness demands (mostly at wider apertures), and your budget,<br /> there are two (2) different 65mm wide angle lenses for the RZ. <br /> Some sellers will advertise or display an image of the more expensive 65mm 'M'/L-A, 'Floating Element' lens,<br /> but will ship the cheaper 65mm 'Z' lens. Please, be aware of these differences!</p>

<p>Or, as in the example from this company, (*Bay# 370763078604 ), they had it reversed the other way.<br /> For once, maybe somebody got a good deal from these clowns...instead of getting screwed.</p>

<p>On the floating element lens, the blue [ribbed grip] adjustment ring actually moves an internal element.<br /> On the standard 'Z' lens, the little blue sliding [plastic] ring is an informational aid only; a DOF calculator based on the aperture chosen.</p>

<p>Marc</p>

<p>RZ, 65mm, 'M' f/4 L-A lens:<br /> http://www.usedcameraexchange.com/HAM3109/1.JPG</p>

<p>Similar to the 65 'Z' f/4, (50mm, 'Z' f/4.5 lens), couldn't find a good image of a 65 'Z' lens:<br /> http://www.digifan.cn/photo/201111181404.jpg</p>

<p> </p>