Mamiya 645AF Film Won't Advance Issues.

bryant_phethmanh

<p>Hi everyone! This is my first post here on photo.net! Well, I just got a Mamiya 645AF (yay!). Decided to take it out for a spin today, grabbed some fresh batteries and loaded up a roll of 120. Then there is this issue.. <br /><br />When I put the film back on, the film does not auto advance to the first frame. At first, I thought I was dumb and didn't load the film in correctly. Doubled check everything, watched a couple of videos via youtube and I did the same exact thing as everyone I saw. Took it over to our local camera store and the repair department couldn't figure anything wrong with it. The camera fires at all shutter speeds fine, everything functions fine, except for the film back. For some odd reason it's just not advancing at all. The LCD shows the ISO and film type but doesn't show a numeric digit for the film count. Just says (--). In the manual, it states that if you loaded the film wrong, it'll show that symbol (--) but seeing that I loaded everything correctly, that can't be the case right? I tried cleaning the contacts and to none success, nothing happens. I went ahead and contacted the seller and asked them to refund me for a portion since the back isn't working. I went ahead and bought one from adorama. I'm praying this will work with another back. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? Is there a motor in the back of the film back that causes the film to whine and advance?</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>If I remember correctly you have to press the shutter release on THE BODY to make an automatic advance to frame 1. Whitout pressing the button the film is not advanced to frame 1 'automatically' like electronic 35mm cameras. After you have advanced the film the film counter starts with 1... and this time if you press the shutter release the camera makes the first exposure. There is no motor in the film back - you have to have fresh batteries in the body.<br>

//EDIT If this does not work the body or film back could be faulty like you suspected.</p>

<p>Then there is the pressure plate in the film insert - it can be in one position for 220 film in another position for 120 film. Does the camera make any noise when pressing the shutter release - ie could the film motor be running normally and not just the mirorr-shutter sounds?</p>

<p>Yet another check - is the camera somehow in multiple exposure mode ME called and that mode is set and canceled a bit differently on each AF(D)I-III models ?</p>

<p>I have now checked the instructions and they state that the film indeed should advance automatically to frame 1 - NOT by pressing the shutter button like I wrongly stated in my first answer.</p>