Contax G1 shutter issue.

john_cooper9

<p>I just aquired a Contax G1 with 28 45 and 90mm lenses. It fires the shutter without film. However I have another G1 body that fires its shutter with no lens and no film, but when I mount a lens on this body it will not fire the shutter with no film. Is this body broken or is it possible to "program" the body to not fire the shutter when there is no film in the camera. Who services these cameras today.</p>

<p>Make sure your batteries are up to their correct charge, and take some alcohol and clean the lens/camera contacts where the lens mounts to the cameras. These are famous for getting a greenish blue sort of corrosion at that juncture that causes all sorts of odd things to happen, or not happen. I know of no way to program the camera. There are people who still repair these (sorry, can't remember who), but often it's cheaper to just buy another G1 body, and sell the one you don't want to keep. The Contax G 90 lenses are wonderful.</p>

<p>Thanks. I thought that the greenish blue was a lubricant (not!) and cleaned it off the lens mount but not the lens. I cleaned the gold contacts. I will try again and see if it has any effect. I only paid $46 for the "bad" body so I may do as you suggested and try my luck with another. I remember being impressed with the feel of the camera in the late 90's and as you say the Zeiss lenses are very good. Can you recommend an adapter for the Sony NEX or a 4/3 body?</p>

<p>I cleaned everything up as suggested, removed/replaced the batteries. It still fires with no lens on it but not when I put a lens on it. Oh well, sometimes you win sometimes you loose. I could have some fun taking the thing apart, after all I am retired.</p>

• 1 month later...
  • 9 years later...

Hi! I recognize this is a very old thread, but wanted to ask whether this issue was ever resolved. My G1 is having the exact same issue - it will only fire the shutter without film in the camera. The issue started after I used the double exposure mode for the first time and I'm wondering if it may have messed up the film advance mechanism. I'm seeing references to this exact issue with G1s all over the internet, but no solutions yet. Hope it got resolved for you. Thanks!