Nikon D5200 and Yongnuo YN560- cables/sync? Help!

sean_craddock

<p>Hello,<br>

I've recently received a Yongnuo Speedlite YN560 for my birthday (yes I'm aware it'll probably be dead within a year from the reviews I've seen) for the purpose of off-camera flash with my Nikon D5200. I am aware that the D5200 does not support i-TTL and I've got conflicted reviews about whether the flash does or not.<br>

The flash is not supplied with a sync cord, and off camera flash photography is something completely new to me. I have absolutely no idea what I need to buy to connect my camera to the flash, there are many cables and triggers and none of them seem to list compatibility in my scenario. I just want the flash to sync to shutter release. I am fine with manually setting the flash up for exposures etc.. I've plenty of time to learn!<br>

If anybody could point me in the right direction as to what I need, I'd be hugely grateful as I'm almost completely sure I'll buy the wrong thing.<br>

Ideally something wireless would be perfect, but otherwise a cable connection would do just fine for starters.</p>

<p>Thank you so much in advance,</p>

<p>Sean</p>

<p>"<em>I am aware that the D5200 does not support i-TTL" </em>- read your camera user's manual, and you may discover that D5200 does support the Nikon iTTL.</p>

<p>Perhaps you mean it does not support fully the CLS ?<br>

Learn more about iTTL and CLS, and make sure you undestand the difference.</p>

<p>Your YN560 flash (if it is the model for Nikon ?), should work in the camera hot shoe, utilizing the iTTL flash exposure automation.</p>

<p>I'm pretty sure the d5200 supports iTTL (I don't own one). From the reviews I see on the web, the YN560 will not support iTTL exposure control. One way to tell is if the flash hot shoe has only a single contact (or post).. if it has only one contact, then it is very likely a manual flash.</p>

<p>I have a YN460 and a YN565EX. The YN460 is a manual flash and the YN565EX does support iTTL.</p>

<p>To use the either flash manually with my D70s, I use a relatively inexpensive radio trigger (Blazzeo MegTrig SLT4). A radio transmitter slides onto the hot shoe on the camera and the receiver slides onto the hot shoe of the flash.</p>

<p>Another option is to use the built in optical slave of the YN560 and use the pop-up flash on your d5200 to trigger the YN560. Select the flash mode to be S2 (or S1 - I can't remember which it is), put the camera in manual mode, pop up the flash, adjust the flash power of the D5200 to be very low so that it won't affect (or have little affect on the final image). I've only used this method indoors..I'm not sure how well it works outside in bright sun.</p>

<p>Regardless of the method used, you will have to control the exposure with a combination of shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and flash power.</p>

<p>Thank you all for your responses, especially you Scott. I am fine with manually controlling the exposure, it's something I'd like to learn, but I will read up on CLS and iTTL as Frank above recommends.<br>

I didn't realise the 560 had an optical slave as well! That's great!<br>

I'm going to check out the Blazzeo that was mentioned, I'll most likely upgrade to a Speedlight a little later, right now I'm going to just have a play with this bit of kit.. until now I've only worked with natural light and slow-shutter imaging.<br>

Thank you all again.</p>

• 5 weeks later...

<p>Sean, going manual will be a great experience for you. With digital you get instant feedback, so it is a no-brainer to have that sort of control. If you want to get good results without having to do the slave thing (or if you just can't get the flash to see the camera's flash firing for some reason), you might want to get a wireless trigger. Here is a good example:</p>

<p>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/754154-REG/Vello_RFW_N_FreeWave_Fusion_Wireless_Flash.html</p>

<p>There is lots of cool stuff on eBay too.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>From Strobist review of the yn-560 EX <br>

The 560<strong>EX</strong> does allows TTL but via IR only. The hotshoe does not have the TTL connections so it does not provide TTL on camera or via hotshoe based triggers. They should work with IR TTL triggers such as the Radiopopper PX system, I've tried them with the YN565 and once positioned at the top right of the red front panel with velcro they work well.</p>